Kozo A3 3/4 scale up and running sort of

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

sky

Kozo A3 3/4 scale up and running sort of

Post by sky »

Hello,
I am trying to get my A3 to run. First, it's my first build, and I don't know anything about live steam or how to actually run one. (All trial and error) I am running on propane on a stationary tread mill, not on a track.

Second, the water gauge doesn't seem to give me the correct water level. Air bubble or whatever, not sure. I re-made the gauge, like on the Shay, with a drain. That didn't seem to help.

Third, the axle pump leaks like crazy. First the screw (pg120 part 16), added a soft copper washer (fix the leak). Next leaked around the o-ring (fixed that leak, part 12 p120 I made part 5 longer so it captured the o-ring). So, now it leaks down around the tube connection (parts 3 & 4 on page 120). Haven't figured out how to fix this leak. (the Shay has the same design.)

Fourth, the tank leaked at the Blow off valve on page 180, so I remade that to the Shay design and now it doesn't leak !

Big frustration is getting the water gauge to show actual water height. All tubes are clear.

Any help greatly appreciated !
sky
James Powell

Re: Kozo A3 3/4 scale up and running sort of

Post by James Powell »

Getting the engine to run on a rolling road on Propane is a major accomplishment. Congratulations !

Where are you in the world ? It's often far easier for someone who is close by to come and help with a first firing, than to try and diagnose from afar...

There should be a good water level in the glass- if it doesn't read, first try taking the glass OUT, and seeing that water comes out the bottom, then try blowing air through the boiler, and verify that air comes out both the lower and upper fittings without a glass. Once you verify that you have clear flowpaths from both top and bottom, then put in a glass, and fill the boiler again.

I'm not sure how else you are measuring the water level if the gauge glass isn't working, but it should be fairly easy to tell if it is obstructed. On a larger gauge glass, with 3 valves, you do a cross blow- close top & bottom valves, open drain, should drain out. Close drain. Open bottom, water should bob all the way to the top of the glass. Close bottom, open drain & let drain. Open top, and steam should come out drain. Close drain, open bottom and the water should bob into view. This is to be done every time you take charge of a boiler- I did it this AM here at work...

This doesn't work if you don't have 3 valves on the gauge.

If your boiler is cold, a simple test is to tip the engine onto it's end, the water should run to the end that is lowest- so if you tip it cylinders down, then the glass should empty, and then if you tip it firebox down, it should fill.

It is vitally important that your gauge glass reads right.

James Powell
sky

Post by sky »

Thank you for the compliment. I'm in Wisconsin. I'm not running it for a really long time. I hand pump water in for about as much as I think has drained (steamed) out. Maybe I am not starting up the Engine in the correct manner?
sky
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Are you close to Milwaukee, by chance? St. Croix live steamers is located in Hudson, WI., and they have a very good knowledge base.
sky

Post by sky »

Near Madison. Who is located in Milwaukee?
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

http://www.stcroixrr.org/

I am sure there are folks that travel to St. Croix RR from near you, just have to find them!
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I don't understand why a boiler would ever be steamed without knowing exactly what the water level is. Doing so, is a sure way to damage the boiler, or, worse. Stop, you must make the water gauge show correctly before getting fire any where near a boiler.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Did you make the water gauge with the column behind the glass as shown in the plans?

I would suggest taking it apart and re-drilling/checking that all of the ports are clear and per the plans.

It could also simply be that the boiler is foaming due to being so new and potentially oils inside from the building process.

Does the water glass show the correct reading when you first fill the boiler before starting the fire? IF not then you certainly have a problem and need to disassemble and diagnose and/or rebuild the sight glass and try again.
-Frank K.
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

You've probably already considered this, but it's possible that the boiler is foaming as a result of oil and other contaminants getting inside during construction. That is one potential cause of bubbles in a gauge glass, especially on a new boiler. Have you given the boiler a thorough wash-out? If not then you may want to give that a go.
Best regards,
Steve
sky

Post by sky »

Hello All,
I made the gauge to Kozo's specifications in the A3 plans the first time, the 2nd & 3rd water gauge I made to the A3 specifications with the Shay's added drain valve. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd gauges I made all read the correct boiler fill before firing the boiler. The feeling the 1st gauge wasn't reading correctly, I re-made the other 2. The 2nd one leaked. So, third time is the charm.

So how do you clean a boiler?
sky
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Hi Sky,

To clean a new boiler, my method is to fill it up fully with clean tapwater (no additives) and drain it down through the lowest drain point. Ideally drain the water into a clean, clear container where you can see the color of what's coming out, and spot the dirt particles, and spot any oily film on the surface. Repeat this a few times until the drained water appears clean, emptying and cleaning your container between each cycle.

It's helpful to use hot water if you can, and it's also helpful if you can pressurize the top of the boiler with air from a compressor while draining to drive the water out more quickly.

Best regards
Steve
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

If the boiler is made to Kozo's specification, it is silver soldered copper. Clean the boiler the same way when you were doing the silver soldering. Back into the acid bath with full immersion. Dump it out and refill several times. Finish off with several rinses of fresh water. This is a small boiler and should be easy to do. I do this every year with my 1" scale boiler.