Kozo A3 3/4 scale up and running sort of

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

GregE

Re: Kozo A3 3/4 scale up and running sort of

Post by GregE »

Congrats on your A3!
I have occasionally had water level bubbles in my A3, but in normal running the standard design works fine.
I concur with others advice about it being a new boiler with small amounts of contaminants- steaming it a few times will help too. I blow down about a quarter of the glass after the fire is dropped and then let the rest drain after it cools a bit and start with fresh water next time I steam up.
Dribbling leaks at the low pressure side of the axle pump aren't a problem per se, but if its squirting out possibly the lower ball check isn't well seated. You can make gaskets for the sealing faces above and below the banjo too.
Greg
Greg Easter
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Suggest annealed copper for the gasket material....and re-annealing every time opened.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
sky

Post by sky »

Hi all,
Thank you. I will try both methods, clean water first. If that doesn't work, I will put it back in the pickle.
Any help on getting the axel pump to work better?
sky
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

please clearly define 'work better'

does it not pump?
does it leak?
????

axle pumps are pretty basic pieces of equipment:

water in -> water out

if you get air in (anywhere on the suction side) or have a leaky check valve -> then it will not pump.

start in the tender and work forward.

air leaks can occur at any joint, valve or packing...

of course then there is the possible case of being 'air bound'....and having no water in the pump to 'prime' it.
sky

Post by sky »

from my first post. On the leaky axle pump:
"Third, the axle pump leaks like crazy. First the screw (pg120 part 16), added a soft copper washer (fix the leak). Next leaked around the o-ring (fixed that leak, part 12 p120 I made part 5 longer so it captured the o-ring). So, now it leaks down around the tube connection (parts 3 & 4 on page 120). Haven't figured out how to fix this leak. (the Shay has the same design.)"
Since then
I have put a gasket on the ringed tube connection, now it just drips. So, now I think I have too much air in the line. Will try to hand pump water into the line before running.

Thank you all for your suggestions, will let you know how it goes. BUT first I have to fix the ball seal on my whistle, it leaks now !!! : (
sky
GregE

Post by GregE »

Looking at my A3 I'm seeing I did something different from the drawings. Per others recommendation I piped the hand pump to feed through the axle pump to enable pushing air through when starting up. Because the lower feed line is now under pressure, I made the hex portion with the ball seat larger to accommodate internal threads for a drilled bolt similar to the blower or lower sight glass fitting. A gasket is between the hex and the banjo, and the bolt seals to the banjo with a cone.
ImageAxle pump feed line by Greg Easter, on Flickr

I had the loco to pieces yesterday to reinstall the two screws holding the steam tee to the left cylinder- they had come completely out and were rattling in the saddle area!
ImageBoiler off for service by Greg Easter, on Flickr

Ready for service later this week at the St. Croix Railroad!
ImageReady to go back into service by Greg Easter, on Flickr
Greg Easter
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Greg
Nice looking engine........

John B
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

very nice looking engine!
-Frank K.
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

Boy thats a beautiful locomotive Greg! Is the saddle tank and cab mods an option in the plans, or your own design? Sorry to hijack the thread
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

And Greg's runs, as per U tube video. We have a fellow @ PVLS who built an A3 and has had nothing but problems from day one. He has had it @ least ten years and it still will not run . Water issues being the biggest problem. Draft and fire issues, it's always something. I have only seen a handful of these engines that actually run like they should, most are mantle pieces.
steamer
sky

Post by sky »

Hi Greg,
not giving up yet. Yours is a great inspiration. Looks beautiful !
any idea on how I modify my water line to my axle pump? Right now the two lines a separate. The hand pump on the right and the axle pump on the left, both going to the tender.
sky
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

make the hand pump so that it pushes through the axle pump...