DIY Steam Trip Hammer powered by Jensen 20G Steam

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Jim Dobson

Re: DIY Steam Trip Hammer powered by Jensen 20G Steam

Post by Jim Dobson »

ccvstmr wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:39 am Jim, that's so neat! Congrats on a well executed project. AND...when you tire of watching the hammers beat nothing the anvil, put some peanuts or pistachios underneath and you'll have the only 2-headed nut cracker in the neighborhood! :roll: Carl B.
Thanks Carl....that made me smile :)
Cheers Jim
My Youtube Channel -
Blue Heeler's Model & Toy Steam Engine Room
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Jim Dobson wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:43 am
ccvstmr wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:39 am Jim, that's so neat! Congrats on a well executed project. AND...when you tire of watching the hammers beat nothing the anvil, put some peanuts or pistachios underneath and you'll have the only 2-headed nut cracker in the neighborhood! :roll: Carl B.
Thanks Carl....that made me smile :)
Knowing Carl as I do, I thought at first he was going to refer to some other kind of "nuts." :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Or your mobile phone after you have received your 100th robocall for the day.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Jim Dobson

Post by Jim Dobson »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:16 pm Or your mobile phone after you have received your 100th robocall for the day.
:D :D :D :D
Cheers Jim
My Youtube Channel -
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Jim Dobson wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:42 am
David Powell wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:35 am What an ingenious and well organised outfit. It shows one job steam used to do. Be careful little fingers do not stray on to the anvil. Regards David Powell.
Thanks David, appreciated.
He's probably meaning MY little fingers ! Chuck Hackett had as his .sig "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from BAD judgement !".

Fortunately, I still have 10 fingers...I think the 1.5" traction nipping me when I was about 8 was a rather important life lesson. Along with working with some of the older gentlemen, one of whom was short a hand due to an accident in his 70's/80's. That kind of thing instills caution around machinery that doesn't care how big/strong you are.

For my sins as a child, I have two of my own. (Children). And they have some engines that Grand-Dad is responsible for (ish) :). The other line which comes to mind is "Children are your Parents BEST REVENGE !"

James
Jim Dobson

Post by Jim Dobson »

James Powell wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:59 pm
David Powell wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:35 am What an ingenious and well organised outfit. It shows one job steam used to do. Be careful little fingers do not stray on to the anvil. Regards David Powell.
He's probably meaning MY little fingers ! Chuck Hackett had as his .sig "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from BAD judgement !".

Fortunately, I still have 10 fingers...I think the 1.5" traction nipping me when I was about 8 was a rather important life lesson. Along with working with some of the older gentlemen, one of whom was short a hand due to an accident in his 70's/80's. That kind of thing instills caution around machinery that doesn't care how big/strong you are.

For my sins as a child, I have two of my own. (Children). And they have some engines that Grand-Dad is responsible for (ish) :). The other line which comes to mind is "Children are your Parents BEST REVENGE !"

James
Thanks James :)
Cheers Jim
My Youtube Channel -
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

James Powell wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:59 pm

James

I can already see the grin on my dads face when my little guy starts losing my tools or leaving them lying around....
Jim Dobson

Post by Jim Dobson »

Al, I think its great that youngsters use tools early. So much better than computer games for hours upon hours.
Cheers Jim
My Youtube Channel -
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

Jim Dobson wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:32 pm Al, I think its great that youngsters use tools early. So much better than computer games for hours upon hours.
Absolutley! I'm sure inside he was proud, but I can't blame anyone for getting mad at us for losing his Allen keys for the 100th time. Some of my earliest memories are standing next to dad on his Myford and him letting me take some cuts. I can't wait to do the same with my boy..
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Jim Dobson wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:32 pmAl, I think its great that youngsters use tools early. So much better than computer games for hours upon hours.
Our oldest grandson used to hang around with me at the railroad years ago when he was a young boy. He would help me when I was doing signal work. Seeing all those wires, relays and such that went into the signal system, and the results of it all working must've made some sort of lasting impression. He graduated last year with an electrical engineering degree. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Jim Dobson

Post by Jim Dobson »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:07 am
Jim Dobson wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:32 pmAl, I think its great that youngsters use tools early. So much better than computer games for hours upon hours.
Our oldest grandson used to hang around with me at the railroad years ago when he was a young boy. He would help me when I was doing signal work. Seeing all those wires, relays and such that went into the signal system, and the results of it all working must've made some sort of lasting impression. He graduated last year with an electrical engineering degree. :D
What a great read that was and congratulations to your grandson.
Cheers Jim
My Youtube Channel -