looking for long life light bulb

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

looking for long life light bulb

Post by Bill Shields »

anybody have a handle on a tubular 40W incandescent light bulb that will last more than 2 months?

I use them to keep my loco firebox 'warm'.

used to be that a light bulb would run for a year or so...not anymore...

about to bite the bullet and go to a calrod heater element...unless somebody has a source for bulbs that will last.
:idea:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ccvstmr

Re: looking for long life light bulb

Post by ccvstmr »

Bill...

I tried those 40 watt tube bulbs as well. Gave up on those after the 4th bulb burned out I figured there had to be a better solution.

Found some screw base ceramic heaters from SE Asia...still couldn't squeeze that thru the firebox door. Didn't feel like taking the door off.

Then, found the Chromalox SCB-50 screw base heaters. Used a 120 volt flood light base with the aluminum reflector. Got rid of the reflector. Used the spring clamp to hold the heater inside the firebox. Left that in there all Winter. Figured a heater that was a little more expensive would be offset by the number of bulbs I wouldn't have to purchase.

There's one for sale on Ebay right now. $50 OBO + $9 s&h. Otherwise, prices can be as much as $100 for these.

Word of caution...don't touch the heater after it's been plugged in for a while. 50 watts generates more heat than you think.

Hope this helps. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

See if you can find the 130 volt version of the lamp you are using.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

BDD: Been there - done that -> 130 volt versions seem to last only a few days longer than the 120V version (infortunately)...years ago they used to last forever.

Carl B: the chromalox thing is where I am headed if nothing else pops up.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Is this to stop corrosion from forming?
-Frank K.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Yes.. keeps the inside of the boiler as dry as reasonably possible. I take out the safeties and open the drains.

Is better than doing nothing.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

Incandescent light bulbs can last forever. I recall seeing a trivia TV series a couple years ago (British series called QI) and they had a segment on a museum somewhere in the US where there is a light bulb still burning for over 100 years. There is even a webxam where you can watch it.

From what I understand it is all about purity of the nitrogen in the lamp. As long as there is no oxygen present the filament does not burn out.
I suspect modern bulbs are designed to fail.

I have however noticed that car bulbs are very durable. Perhaps try retrofit one of those in there.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Cool...all I need is a light bulb built while T A Edison was still alive.

I am still looking for a known current source > if one exists. In two years of trying bulbs I can find...my record is 2.5 months. This from a bulb advertised to last for 1.4 years > burning 3 hours a day. Which works out to just about the length of time it lasted. This from a bulb marked for 130 volts running on 110.

Thinking of gegging an 80w bulb for the UK where they run 220v..but by the time I do that a chromalox heater will be cheaper.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Ordinary incandescent failure occurs when evaporation forms a narrow spot in the filament which eventually breaks. Those hundred-year-old lamps are of a low temperature, low efficiency design not comparable to modern ones.

Put two lamps in series. You'll get a bit more than half the power but the lamps will last much, much longer. There are also "long-life" lamps but there may be not be any with the form factor you need.
jmpharrington

Post by jmpharrington »

How about a mini ceramic heater intended for reptile terrariums? Small, intended for long term continuous use, about $20. You would need a pin base socket, but that should be easy.

https://www.chewy.com/zilla-ceramic-hea ... gJ-QfD_BwE
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

atunguyd wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:34 am Incandescent light bulbs can last forever. I recall seeing a trivia TV series a couple years ago (British series called QI) and they had a segment on a museum somewhere in the US where there is a light bulb still burning for over 100 years. There is even a webxam where you can watch it.

It's in a firehouse in Livermore, Ca. It even has its own webpage: http://centennialbulb.org
and a book: https://www.blurb.com/books/6219248-a-m ... of-service
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Place a diode (1N4004) in series, that reduces the RMS Voltage by 30%. Due to the nonlinear characteristic of an incandescent bulb the power will be something more than half. It will outlast you, guarantee.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX