Rod material

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mountaineer

Rod material

Post by Mountaineer »

I’ve noticed some bigger designs call for 11L17 for driving wheel rods. Have been using A36 hot rolled in past. Advantages?

Mountaineer
SteveM

Re: Rod material

Post by SteveM »

Well, this is interesting.

I googled "11L17 vs a36" and got this:
https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/ASTM ... rbon-Steel

Nice comparison between two materials.

These two look pretty similar, but 11L17 has greater fatigue strength and tensile strength, which I suppose would be important for rod material.

Also, the L stands for lead, which makes for a better machining experience, although you'll have to add a proposition 36 warning in California :-)

Steve
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Here goes:

CAUTION:
California centaines Proposition 36 warnings!

RussN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

From the Speedy metals site - "Because of the addition of lead in 11L17, its weldability is also poor." Not applicable to rods, but might be to other applications.
Fender

Post by Fender »

From what I’ve seen, leaded steels also seem to “rust” faster than non-leaded steels such as A36 or 1018.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

From what I’ve seen, leaded steels also seem to “rust” faster
I was going to include that as a recollection in my comment, but I couldn't find verification in my quick check of the Internet.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

1144 would be a good choice for rods. High strength and good machinability.

Nyle
rudd

Post by rudd »

Agree with above. I have some 12L14 I bought, it rusts like crazy. And it is soft. The 1144 (stressproof) would be a very good choice, it also "moves around" very little when machined, as there are lower internal stresses. I made my frames out of hot rolled 1144 P&O (Pickled and oiled) - the P&O gets rid of the "bark" that you find on most hot roll.
In general, hot roll has lower internal stresses than cold finished.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

rudd wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:39 amThe 1144 (stressproof) would be a very good choice, it also "moves around" very little when machined, as there are lower internal stresses.
That is very important in milling as in this application.

You will be removing metal from one side and then you find that the part warps when you take it out.

In turning, it's not as much of a problem because you are removing metal symmetrically.

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The use of Stressproof, unfortunately, is limited to hex or round bar stock. To my knowledge, it is not available as flat stock.

If I am not correct, would someone please correct me, and provide a source for such material?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

rudd wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:39 amThe 1144 (stressproof) would be a very good choice...
AISI 1144 is not "stressproof."

Genuine StressProof® is a registered trademark of Niagara LaSalle and refers to a processing method, not the material. StressProof is AISI 1144 that has undergone a series of heat treating and cold working steps to improve dimensional accuracy, toughness and decrease internal stresses. Purchasing 1144 from your favorite supplier will not get you genuine StressProof unless you order it and pay accordingly (genuine StressProof will come with paperwork from Niagara LaSalle). Also, don't let them try to sell you ASTM A311 and claim it's StressProof.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:11 pm The use of Stressproof, unfortunately, is limited to hex or round bar stock. To my knowledge, it is not available as flat stock.

If I am not correct, would someone please correct me, and provide a source for such material?

H
Genuine StressProof is only available in rounds and hex stock. I've not seen anyone selling AISI 1144 in flats.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D