C.P. Huntington

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Re: C.P. Huntington

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I'd say most LE Americans and Huntingtons used LE's bronze firebox casting.
You are absolutely correct about that. That had actually slipped my mind yesterday. I have seen several run successfully with that boiler style, and Charlie's has that cast bronze boiler firebox and rear section. In my generalizations, I kind-of lump them in with the copper boilers because the front section still is copper and has to be silver soldered onto the rear sections. That whole 'boiler casting' was Little Engines' attempt to make a boiler easier to build and a lot less expensive. I have heard that some of them worked fine, and some had a lot of porosity and voids that made them nothing more than fancy door stops. I've heard of a few of them being brazed up and used also. You can almost break boilers down into two types: Welded boilers and soldered boilers. I know that's not exactly true 100% of the time, but it works for describing boilers and their build methods to most people.

Main Point: If you have a copper boiler, then take care of it! I think Charlie looked into what a new copper boiler would have cost for his L.E. American, had that one not been usable, and it was something like $8,000 a few years ago. That's why a lot of people go with a steel boiler if they can, especially in the larger sizes.
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Beautiful model! I always loved the look of the CP Huntington, looks like a toy designer did the design.

I didn't see this posted yet, here's the build thread on the CP Huntington that was on DLS last year- http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=93102

Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The C.P. Huntington is presently on display in the California State Railway Museum in Sacramento.
It is next to the Cab Forward that it used to share outdoor display with, in front of the SP Passenger station in Sacramento.
David and Goliath!
RussN
Huntington-byJess-Newcomb.JPG
Huntington-byJess-Newcomb.JPG (43.01 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

milwiron wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:54 am Beautiful model! I always loved the look of the CP Huntington, looks like a toy designer did the design.

I didn't see this posted yet, here's the build thread on the CP Huntington that was on DLS last year- http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=93102

Denny
Thanks! My grandfather always took pride in his work. And I’m proud to be given the chance to bring it back to life.

I’m pretty sure that’s the same guy that had the train webpage with other Huntington’s on it.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

yes, that's him.
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

Update on the Huntington- I did a slow steam and found some bad o rings on sight glasses. After changing them I was able to steam up to 120 psi before the safety valves popped. There are several drips in the cab from valves, what is an ok amount of drips?

Also I will only be able to meet at the mid south spring meet (sorry fender) as I just had my first child 2 weeks ago and can’t really spend too much time away at the moment.

With that being said, is there anyone that will be at the mid south spring meet with a flatcar I could borrow? I don’t have any couplers at the moment. The riding car that was built for this train is at my fathers house 900 miles away.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Drips will seal themselves.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

That’s good to hear.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I just had my first child 2 weeks ago
Where are your priorities?

My son was born 48 years ago next month. Although my wife was able to leave, he had to stay a couple of extra days in the hospital. When he was released, we picked him up at the Willford Hall hospital at Lackland AFB and headed directly to Hank Blossom's track in Wimberly, Texas for the spring meet before we took him home. :D
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

Well, I think a lot has changed in childcare in the last 50 years. But anyways. I’d prefer he wasn’t at the track all day or go for a couple hour drive each way. So I’m only going to be able to go to one of the clubs meets.

Now next year, I definitely will be taking him as much as I can.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Might have something you can borrow... Flat car, gondola, tank car (which will hurt your butt), etc... But something.

What day(s) do you think you'll be there?
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

I don’t mind a little uncomfortable ride. I do have a 3 gal tank I will use for water that I’ll need to set in there with me.

I plan to come Saturday morning May 1.

Thanks, I appreciate it.