C.P. Huntington

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mjordan

C.P. Huntington

Post by Mjordan »

Hey all, I am green to live steam and I have had my grandfathers little engines Huntington passed down to me. I am trying to bring it back to rail condition. I have lubed and cleaned everything, and it all works under air. I only run about 40psi but he told me it runs at 80psi on steam. So the hydrostatic boiler test should be done at 120psi correct? Also I guess my other concern is what else should I expect or look for when trying to dust off a locomotive that hasn’t ran in 20years?

I have all original drawings as well as my grandfathers drawings of all his modifications. I also have photos of the build and when he ran it at riverside live steamers in CA. I am located in northern Alabama and will likely go to the mid south live steamers spring event to talk to club members.
Attachments
1F393277-FB33-47DE-AD62-7F23D53C5D18.jpeg
Bill Shields

Re: C.P. Huntington

Post by Bill Shields »

You are headed in the correct direction..

Unless you are used to dealing with steam.. the list is almost endless.

A hydro is where u start.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Mid South is a good club from what I hear. If you give it a few months, there are a few members from Mid south on this forum. You could probably join their club and I am sure they would be interested in walking you through the steps needed. I'm on the wrong side of Mid South, or I'd offer to help.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

As Bill has suggested, you don't just fill it with water, light a fire and take off. Do talk to club members before you fire it up, and be sure those members are old hands who know what they are doing. Proper lubrication and boiler care are at the top of the list and much of that is not self-evident.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Hey fender....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:37 pm Hey fender....
Actually, Charlie Pipes and Scott Reedy, both of whom are on this forum and members at MSLS, are probably closer to you than I am (Chattanooga area). Would also invite you to come to the Chattanooga Society of Model Engineers Spring Meet 4/23-25. Our track is near Dunlap, TN.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:12 pm As Bill has suggested, you don't just fill it with water, light a fire and take off. Do talk to club members before you fire it up, and be sure those members are old hands who know what they are doing. Proper lubrication and boiler care are at the top of the list and much of that is not self-evident.
My grandfather was very particular, so I know when he stopped running it in the 90s at Riverside he winterized it properly. Before I put air on it I oiled up the steam chests as well as disassembled and reassembled the duplex pump. Unfortunately I can’t tell if the hydrostatic Euler system works right now as I have read it only operates with Condensation from steam.

I have attached a view of the cab with the oil system. Is this a common oil system set up?
Attachments
7940A44E-EB2D-46AE-A42A-F43D5A0F688F.jpeg
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

Fender wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:07 am
Bill Shields wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:37 pm Hey fender....
Actually, Charlie Pipes and Scott Reedy, both of whom are on this forum and members at MSLS, are probably closer to you than I am (Chattanooga area). Would also invite you to come to the Chattanooga Society of Model Engineers Spring Meet 4/23-25. Our track is near Dunlap, TN.

I don’t think I will be able to run it on the track by next month. I don’t have any kind of tender or riding car. But I would like to come to one of the meets, bring the Huntington and talk to members, possibly also join a club. It looks like both clubs are relatively the same distance from me. Are there many steam locomotives at either club?
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

You need to be sure what the safety valve settings are. Won't do you any good to hydro to 125psi if the safety's are set at 125 psi also.

John B.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The oil system is hydrostatic, and nicely done.
Those cab controls tell a lot about the builder: Detail oriented, and probably high quality.
You now are the caretaker of a remarkable Live Steam Locomotive!
Thanks for sharing with us.
RussN
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

FLSTEAM wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:24 am You need to be sure what the safety valve settings are. Won't do you any good to hydro to 125psi if the safety's are set at 125 psi also.

John B.
I’m pretty sure he said the safety valves open at 100 psi. Theoretically couldn’t I remove them and pipe them onto my air compressor to verify?
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

NP317 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:48 am The oil system is hydrostatic, and nicely done.
Those cab controls tell a lot about the builder: Detail oriented, and probably high quality.
You now are the caretaker of a remarkable Live Steam Locomotive!
Thanks for sharing with us.
RussN
Thank you, he told me his attention to detail and making things complex was a curse of his. He said he created a monster haha. One of the first things people noticed on the locomotive were the “beer tap” levers when he ran it in the 80s and 90s. There are photos and videos of me riding it as a baby. My older siblings remember riding on it but I was too young to remember.

The only thing I’ve done to the oil system was replace the rubber o-rings and put fresh steam cylinder oil in it. I think that’s the most I can do as of now without steam. There is an in-line oiler right before the duplex pump that I have also replaced the oil in.