Could I get some lessons about shopping for a locomotive build?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Builder01

Re: Could I get some lessons about shopping for a locomotive build?

Post by Builder01 »

Are those fasteners blackened? What was the method?
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Builder01 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:25 pm Are those fasteners blackened? What was the method?
Long ago I always used Birchwood Presto Black for room temps, now I use Birchwood Casey's Super Blue. I don't see much of a difference between the two on small parts.

After machining I clean parts with a strong spray cleaner, rinse in hot water, blacken while still hot, rinse in hot water and then oil. WD40 is ok at this point.

Before "final" assembly the oil gets cleaned off and screws or small parts get coated with a water based acrylic emulsion for better rust protection. I let that dry/cure for a few days and then coat with a firearm rust preventative oil like Barricade or Sta-Bil Rust Stopper. Fluid Film also works on top of the acrylic.

This time of the year I get a lot of moisture sweating on my machines when the garage furnace is running and the machines are still cold. There are cans of Fluid Film and Rust Stopper all over the place.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Interesting! Thank you for the blackening info!
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Builder01 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:30 am Interesting! Thank you for the blackening info!
My honor!
I should add that cold blackening is nowhere near as durable as commercial black oxide but it's a whole lot easier to do in your kitchen or shop.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."