Tubes...leaking

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Re: Tubes...leaking

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Ginger. Add that to the boiler. I've heard of a lot of people using it in the past to clog up small leaks and weeps.

Best thing to do long-term is to fix it right, but it does work.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

So, the "solutions" that are offered, most of them do work to some extent or another.

If the tube is corroded from the water side > fireside, then likely, the end solution will be retubing. :(

You may get a couple of days of steaming out of Sodium Silicate, or Ginger, or Sheep Poo.

However, all of this comes down to a question of what is leaking- if the tubes are leaking from the inside of the tubes, then it's basically retubing is likely. If the tubes are leaking at the sheets, then the leak stopping may be worth trying- either by rolling, or by some "magic solution" :).

As I posted, I've had that as a problem with the 4" traction. It was fairly apparent in my case that it was tubes that had moved and that it was leaking at the sheets not in the tubes. I squeezed the ends by about 10% (worked out as 10 thou) on the copper tubes, realizing that I didn't want to damage the tube sheet.

Annoying? Oh yes !

James
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Until a careful inspection determines what/where is leaking, these good discussions are all moot.
I am still waiting to hear what the facts are with the boiler in question. Pics included would be good.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ginger in the water is a never ending problem...since it dissolves and needs to be added constantly.. every time water is added

Seen it use in the UK for minor seam or stay leaks in copper boilers where there is porosity in a brazing joint.

Not recommended for leaks through steel flues there leakage is an indication of impending failure
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

NP317 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:48 am Until a careful inspection determines what/where is leaking, these good discussions are all moot.
I am still waiting to hear what the facts are with the boiler in question. Pics included would be good.
RussN
Attachments
IMG_0002.JPG
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

It looks like it leaks from the tube behind the rolled end ???????????
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If that is the case...leak is through the tube wall..then rolling will be counter productive....especially since it APPEARS that the tubes are welded.

A proper fix is going to start with removing the boiler.

Since in a previous part of this thread you asked about how to roll tubes.. then I can assume that you are not experienced in the area of boiler repair or construction..and replacing tubes in a used boiler is not the place to start unless you are working alongside someone who has done it a few times...and getting welded tubes out is going to require replacement of the tube sheets.

so the question is. .who are you going to get to do the repair?

Where in the world are you located?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Good to see the picture. Thanks for posting that.
Can you also open the steam dome to inspect the interior of the tube bundle and post another picture?
Then much more can be learned about the general condition of the boiler.
Such an interior inspection is often an annual process, and certainly the first thing I would do to inspect a used boiler that was new to me.

Continue the research before drawing conclusions.
RussN
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Hard to tell but I had the same thought as Bill S. - it does appear that the firebox side of the tubes are welded.
-Frank K.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

A little bit of air pressure (do it with a hand bicycle pump)
in the boiler and some soapy water in a squeeze bottle ot on a bottle brush is all you need to confirm if you have any doubts.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but been there..seen that...fixed more than a few..

Once a tube is leaking through the wall it is time to prep for the inevitable..and with welded tubes it is a no brainer.

Top off inspection will give an idea if the shell and or firebox is worth salvaging....or even if you can find someone with a boroscope to take a peek...

No matter what you find...time to start working through the process of boiler removal..be logical and do not panic.

This includes taking some pictures of the loco and asking around to companies or individuals you can trust for estimates of repair or replacement. Strongly recommend you go with a steel shell and rolled in copper tubes.

If removal and reinstallation of the boiler is beyond your capabilities....then you have other decisions to make.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:29 pm If that is the case...leak is through the tube wall..then rolling will be counter productive....especially since it APPEARS that the tubes are welded.

A proper fix is going to start with removing the boiler.

Since in a previous part of this thread you asked about how to roll tubes.. then I can assume that you are not experienced in the area of boiler repair or construction..and replacing tubes in a used boiler is not the place to start unless you are working alongside someone who has done it a few times...and getting welded tubes out is going to require replacement of the tube sheets.

so the question is. .who are you going to get to do the repair?

Where in the world are you located?
So Cal
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

NP317 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:23 pm Good to see the picture. Thanks for posting that.
Can you also open the steam dome to inspect the interior of the tube bundle and post another picture?
Then much more can be learned about the general condition of the boiler.
Such an interior inspection is often an annual process, and certainly the first thing I would do to inspect a used boiler that was new to me.

Continue the research before drawing conclusions.
RussN
The steam dome only has a few 1/4" holes into the boiler.
Tom