Piston Ring Question

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SCBryan

Re: Piston Ring Question

Post by SCBryan »

There was no first set. This is a new build. I purchased the partially completed project and this is where I am at this point.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ah...was someone else had a set of rings fail...sorry

Properly packed piston rings with either yard or braided packing will work well...but doing it correctly is a learned art...hence folks are leaning to one piece PTFE.

All things considered you could use o-rings alone on brass. I have done that dozens of times on water pumps.. and the rings hold up for a long long time.

Either way it is not the end of the world either way...it is not like you cannot get the pistons out and do a change.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

What are experiences with quad rings vs o-rings?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I would not recommended Quads at high velocity..
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Something I've seen written about a number of times, and accounted for in TD Walshaw's ME articles on making rings, steam rings and IC rings are different animals. Steam rings exert much less pressure on the cylinder walls. I've never seen an article on modifying IC rings to better function as steam rings. Obviously we generally take what we can get and get along well enough.

When I had the opportunity I ordered steam rings from the Clupet Ring & Gauge Co. in England. Their specialty was/is steam rings of a unique design for traction engines for the steam rallying crowd but they can produce any size ring. Google will product a load of hits on Clupet, including how to make them.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

gwrdriver wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:14 pm Something I've seen written about a number of times, and accounted for in TD Walshaw's ME articles on making rings, steam rings and IC rings are different animals. Steam rings exert much less pressure on the cylinder walls. I've never seen an article on modifying IC rings to better function as steam rings. Obviously we generally take what we can get and get along well enough.

Aren't IC rings very slightly tapered on the outside edge? I seem to remember that there was a right and wrong way to put them on the piston. I think that may be to help pull oil from the cylinder walls back down and help keep it from getting up into the combustion chamber. Dunno how that would affect use in a steam cylinder.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I've only built a few engines, two early-1950s MGs and a Crosley, . . anyone remember Crosleys? I had the manuals and other information specific to rebuilding those engines so I'm almost certain if there had been any indication there was a "right" way up I'd have seen it. But those were essentially pre-War technology engines so tapered rings may very well have become standard for post-War engines.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Many ic rings have a dot on one side to indicate "this side up". Especially with oil rings that are designed to push oil down rather than push up.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:14 pm I would not recommended Quads at high velocity..
I've printed out extensive information regarding feet per minute, temperatures, expansion/temp relation, and the like. This is correct, I think the feet per minute in a steamer exceeds the specs for the quad type rings. Glass filled PTFE seems to be the best I can find. There are hydraulic components that utilize these, as well as rings made from it that are molded with built in overlap/expansion, but you would need to buy them first and then build your pistons and cylinders around them. In my opinion, bronze cylinders, stainless pistons, glass filled PTFE rings =best it's going to get.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

gwrdriver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:59 am I've only built a few engines, two early-1950s MGs and a Crosley, . . anyone remember Crosleys? I had the manuals and other information specific to rebuilding those engines so I'm almost certain if there had been any indication there was a "right" way up I'd have seen it. But those were essentially pre-War technology engines so tapered rings may very well have become standard for post-War engines.
Yep, I remember Crosley and a spinoff with their overhead cam engine used on the Bearcat Marine Outboard motor (Boston Whaler). I had a Bearcat 55 that was more like 100 HP on a 16' Dilks Ski-barge. The engine was of course mounted vertically and modified to a dry sump. Quite an engine!
BClemens
prlawiii

Post by prlawiii »

What is the source for glass filled PTFE rings?
Just starting an Allen Mogul
renewing a Marie Estelle
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

bar stock...turn them yourself