What do we have for pics and video of the Waushakum Norfolk street era?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shild

Re: What do we have for pics and video of the Waushakum Norfolk street era?

Post by shild »

Pat these pictures are excellent! Didn't know the snakes came often. Can just imagine people accidentally kicking snakes they didn't know were there as they road. Does this happen at the current track? Please keep the pics coming. I really like what I see. So Bill, the 2-4-0 is yours? What is that? Looks like a more modern version of a Raritan. Except the steam dome is smaller. A couple of loaded riding cars and a caboose must be pushing the limits of what that can pull up hill, isn't it?
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi Bill
We never really had that many problems with snakes, but they were out there. At the new track site, ex-President Jim O'Brien was working on our Dozer, he reached into the Battery box to connect the Battery cable and pulled out one Black snake. The 2-4-0 is not mine, it could been one that one of the members was building. You would be surprised what those little 3/4" scale could move uphill at the old track.
Now I am going to switch gears and go back to August 1974, our 1st Sunday of month run, for members, I am glad you are enjoying the photo, they do bring back a lot of memories,
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi All
Here are some from the 1st Sunday of the Month run August 4th, 1974
Photo By Pat Fahey
Photo By Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
shild

Post by shild »

Pat Fahey wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:45 am Hi Bill
We never really had that many problems with snakes, but they were out there. At the new track site, ex-President Jim O'Brien was working on our Dozer, he reached into the Battery box to connect the Battery cable and pulled out one Black snake. The 2-4-0 is not mine, it could been one that one of the members was building. You would be surprised what those little 3/4" scale could move uphill at the old track.
Now I am going to switch gears and go back to August 1974, our 1st Sunday of month run, for members, I am glad you are enjoying the photo, they do bring back a lot of memories,
Thanks Pat!

These pics are excellent!. I guess in 74 they neither had the stairway that went over the tracks nor the dirt road that went in back of the layout yet? By the way, my names "Shild" not Bill. Wasn't too sure if you were talking to me or Bill Shields. That being said, I can see there is Bill Van Brocklin working on his pilot truck! Look at that riding car he has, is that a ball bearing within the wheel and the axles don't turn?
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi Shild
Yes I thought you were Bill Shields I stand corrected Sorry, I am glad you like the photos. I and Dick Bourinot were the sorts of official photographer for the club. I took alot of B&W and slides also, at the track.. again I apologize on getting confused on your name. Well sense you liked the last set of photos here are some more.
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The 2-4-0 belongs to a very good friend. I keep her in the winter and do maintenance in exchange for throttle privileges on weekends.

Nellie is same vintage as Raritan and has the same wheel arrangement and runs on steam but the similarities stop there.

Built to be manageable by old folks. The entire boiler, cab and all piping comes off easily with removal of 4 bolts inside the firebox. You then have a 50# boiler and a 50# chassis that will fit inside a smallish car.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
shild

Post by shild »

Pat Fahey wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:17 pm Hi Shild
Yes I thought you were Bill Shields I stand corrected Sorry, I am glad you like the photos. I and Dick Bourinot were the sorts of official photographer for the club. I took alot of B&W and slides also, at the track.. again I apologize on getting confused on your name. Well sense you liked the last set of photos here are some more. Untitled-Scanned-10.jpgUntitled-Scanned-11.jpgUntitled-Scanned-15.jpgUntitled-Scanned-17.jpgUntitled-Scanned-19.jpgUntitled-Scanned-20.jpg
Great pics! I can see there were 10 engine/rolling stock houses on the front side. Just how did it that work and how does it work now? Did members pay extra to rent one of the stalls in a house to store their loco or did it come free with membership? I guess some members only brought a loco home to do major maintenance and others took it home every single time? Did you also shoot any 8mm, super 8 or 16mm films of this place?
Last edited by shild on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shild

Post by shild »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:14 pm The 2-4-0 belongs to a very good friend. I keep her in the winter and do maintenance in exchange for throttle privileges on weekends.

Nellie is same vintage as Raritan and has the same wheel arrangement and runs on steam but the similarities stop there.

Built to be manageable by old folks. The entire boiler, cab and all piping comes off easily with removal of 4 bolts inside the firebox. You then have a 50# boiler and a 50# chassis that will fit inside a smallish car.
That's very heavy for a locomotive that size isn't it? No wonder it can pull all that. Where is all that weight? Thicker frame rails?
shild

Post by shild »

Bill, is that locomotive running out of steam on grades and really slowing down?
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi Shilds
Engine houses on Norfolk St,, yes we pay an extra $ 5.00 a year to rent a signal stall,, now at the new track the rent has gone up quite a bit. Some engines on Norfolk St spend the winter inside the engine-house, with a light bulb for heat.
This was so when we had our New Years Day run, the locomotive was already in place. I hope this answers your question. Pat.
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi All
I wanted to post one more shot of the Norfolk St track site, this photo that was taken by the following week after the club had its Annual meet.
The photo was taken Sept 6th, 1975, George Hildreth was President of the club from 1964 to 1984, when he decided to finally step down, and also became a life member of the club.
George built his engines with the simplest of tools, he had a 6-inch atlas lathe, a drill press, and some hand tools, but managed to built and complete all these locomotives. When he needed his cylinders for the locomotives to be made he asked a club member if he would be willing to do the work.
The boilers for the locomotives came from hydraulic cylinders from where he worked at Perini's in Framingham, Mass as a finish carpenter.
George was told he would be lucky to finish one locomotive by one of his friends, at Perini's he build six locomotives all but one has not been found yet.
The last locomotive that George build was a B&M Berkshire, as seen in the photo,, he build all with a little help, and basic hand tools..
Photo by Pat Fahey  Sept 1975
Photo by Pat Fahey Sept 1975
shild

Post by shild »

Pat Fahey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:42 am Hi Shilds
Engine houses on Norfolk St,, yes we pay an extra $ 5.00 a year to rent a signal stall,, now at the new track the rent has gone up quite a bit. Some engines on Norfolk St spend the winter inside the engine-house, with a light bulb for heat.
This was so when we had our New Years Day run, the locomotive was already in place. I hope this answers your question. Pat.
Thanks so much for all these great pics Pat! :) So are you talking about the really long house with 4 tracks? Or another one? I remember someone talking about a bulb in one of these houses. I guess that just reduces warm up time? People must of had some switching to do if they needed to get something deep inside the longer house.