AME quits publication

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

AME quits publication

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I just received my Jan/Fed issue of Australian Model Engineering to read therein that this is their last issue. They say the digital world and social media in particular have been a big factor in reducing subscriptions to the point where the magazine is no longer viable.

AME has been a valuable companion to Live Steam magazine. The internet cannot replace what will be lost. The net does not provide the same type of detailed descriptions and drawings found in our magazines, and while suppliers can have websites, they require action by the customer to find, while display ads bring the otherwise unknown to our attention. And the ephemeral nature of the net means that unless we take action to download and save something of interest, it can disappear in an instant. Lastly, sitting on the couch, casually thumbing through a magazine, is a relaxation that is not replaced by a digital device.

Goodbye AME. You will be missed.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
VGC

Re: AME quits publication

Post by VGC »

Do you know www.gartenbahn-werkstatt.com ?
It is written in German AND in English. Although the English text often is shorter (which perhaps could change if the supplier gets enough requests for this), there seem to be lots of people buying it who do not speak German.
I often read that people here in Europe like it more than another well-known German magazine.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Around here (meaning where I am), the joke is books and magazines are disappearing because the American population has become less literate in the last quarter-century. Why print that stuff if no one can understand it? :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

VGC wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:31 am Do you know www.gartenbahn-werkstatt.com ?
It is written in German AND in English. Although the English text often is shorter (which perhaps could change if the supplier gets enough requests for this), there seem to be lots of people buying it who do not speak German.
I often read that people here in Europe like it more than another well-known German magazine.
I was introduced to this magazine by SteamChris when I visited Germany in 2019. I found it to be quite good and I subscribed to it. I received 1 issue. Are they still publishing?

Thanks!

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
VGC

Post by VGC »

Is it possible that you ordered a single test magazine?
You can choose if you want to get it regularly or not.
Perhaps they can send you also the missing editions since then.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

VGC wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:37 am Is it possible that you ordered a single test magazine?
You can choose if you want to get it regularly or not.
Perhaps they can send you also the missing editions since then.
Maybe. I emailed them.
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

I too had an issue in trying to subscribe, I got a response saying to pay the invoice with paypal but there was no invoice attached or link to one. Magazine looks good.