Trying to decide on a beginner 3/4" locomotive to build.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shild

Re: Trying to decide on a beginner 3/4" locomotive to build.

Post by shild »

skyloop440 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:47 pm Hi shild, and every one else following this post.
I think all throw my two cents worth in here, Shild you have gotten some very good advice here, one thing all add is were are you located, maybe one of the guys here could take you under there arm if you are in the same city etc, and mentor you. How old are you, can you drive, then go on discover live steam and find a club near you, go visit them become a member, find out there track gauges if they have 3 1/2" then great. Trying to build something from a mixed bunch of parts might be more work than building from scratch. If you are truly interested in this hobby and want to become part of it then here is what i can do to help you. I have a full set of Raritan castings (unmachined) and a full set of the riding car castings i have a water jet cut frame for the loco and the pipe to make the boiler out of plus the book of plans. Probably $1200.00 bucks worth of stuff, all GIVE to you if you will concider building a Raritan plus i think Joe Tanski is a great source of info on it. If you do your home work and leg work and find some help we can talk about this further.

Matt
If you're serious, I'm not going to say no to that!.. I'd be posting pictures of the machining on here left and right. Already have my mill/drill, 7x10 lathe, 4x6 bandsaw, most of the tools I need. Are you really sure you want to do that? I think Joe Tanski goes to Washakaum where I plan to go.
shild

Post by shild »

As to everyone else, I feel embarrassed now! RC car motors are flea power indeed. :oops: Shame on me for asking for drawings.
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

When you get to drive a good steamer, model or full size, road rail or sea, you will realise that it gives you almost unstoppable power within its range.
If you have actually built it yourself then it will make you feel like a Conqueror.
Follow the drawings and instructions for your first few models, then, once you have experience, you can confidently take that experience, and build whatever you wish with the certainty of success.
Once you are hooked on the magic of steam it will be for your lifetime.
Regards David Powell
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi Shild:
Yes I'm sure, I think between Joe and the Washakaum live steamers you'll be in good hands. Give me a couple days to get everything ready to ship.
Not sure how this PM stuff works so PM me your address or email so i can get shipping info.

Remember ask questions and learn lots, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.
Matt
shild

Post by shild »

skyloop440 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:29 pm Hi Shild:
Yes I'm sure, I think between Joe and the Washakaum live steamers you'll be in good hands. Give me a couple days to get everything ready to ship.
Not sure how this PM stuff works so PM me your address or email so i can get shipping info.

Remember ask questions and learn lots, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.
Matt
Thank you so much Matt!.. Private message sent.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You can find their www site:

Waushakumlivesteamers.com
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

-Frank K.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ah...fat fingers and neutral brain combined with old age and senility make for an interesting combination.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

no worries Bill!
-Frank K.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

worries are at my end...if I could remember what it is about that I should be worrying