Pennsy E6 Boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Pennsy E6 Boiler

Post by Marty_Knox »

We are building a boiler for a 1.6" scale Pennsy E6. We are working from a combination of prototype drawings and the series that appeared in Modeltec magazine. Here are some picture from today.
Attachments
IMG_6284.JPG
IMG_6287.JPG
IMG_6293.JPG
Johnny O

Re: Pennsy E6 Boiler

Post by Johnny O »

Looks nice Marty, as usual. Coal burner? You've got alot of tubes there. What is the barrel tube, it looks smoother then pipe? Is that a foundation ring around the bottom of the fire box, Isaw it used in the Australian model boiler code book. I guess its not used much as I have only seen the water walls welded in between with key stock. Looking forward to following your build, is there a thread on the rest of the Pennsy?
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Yes, it will be a coal burner. The shell is a piece of 10" OD DOM tubing. We use a mudring, foundation ring, in all the boilers we build.
I don't think the builder has posted anything on the rest of the locomotive.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Here are some more pictures.
Attachments
IMG_6288.JPG
IMG_6294.JPG
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Hello Johnny O,
This is my boiler. I'm not on Chaski much anymore. Haven't posted much in the last few years.
Yes, as Marty said, it's a coal burner. I'm deviating from the original plans a little bit. Changing the check valve location and using a front end throttle to simplify construction and future maintenance.
Marty, as usual, I'm very happy with your work! Always top notch! Thanks for sharing!
Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

We definitely need some pics of the rest of the E6 Andy!
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Berkman wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:24 am We definitely need some pics of the rest of the E6 Andy!
I haven't done much on it yet. It's mostly just loose parts. I purchased the castings from a gentleman in Minneapolis in July of 2019 who is rebuilding a Pennsy K-4.

When I get home I'll load some pics from the iPad.

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Nice work as usual Marty, How close is the E boiler to the G boiler? According to Pennsy, they were almost identical...
I know you told me once, but I forget, whats the weight of that boiler, I'll need to get it from the garage to the basement soon, and trying to figure out the easiest way to do that...
John
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Hi John! I gave Andy the drawings I made for your boiler. He didn't think they were close enough so he made cad drawings. He is using 1.6" scale rather than 1.5. I then made pencil drawings with the dimensions from the cad drawings. I should compare the drawings of your boiler with his and see how close they really are.
I don't remember the weight of your boiler either. I have added a place to my Data Report to record the weight.
Here is a picture of the G5 boiler.
Attachments
IMG_9023.JPG
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

The E6 boiler IS bigger than the G5 boiler that I built. The front of the firebox is almost 1" higher, the sides are 1" longer, and the mud ring is 1" wider.
Most of this is due to the larger scale Andy is using.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

I added a thread in the build log for this locomotive project.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Here are some more pictures.
Attachments
IMG_6353.JPG
IMG_6354.JPG
IMG_6355.JPG
IMG_6357.JPG