First Test of a DIY Steam Turbine running off a 4" Copper MSM Boiler.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Jim Dobson

Post by Jim Dobson »

https://youtu.be/dAtLPlYfpyA
Cheers Jim
My Youtube Channel -
Blue Heeler's Model & Toy Steam Engine Room
David Powell

Re: First Test of a DIY Steam Turbine running off a 4" Copper MSM Boiler.

Post by David Powell »

Obviously a lot of fun, and careful work. Perhaps it would be interesting to see it driving something, maybe a propellor in a tank of water, and compare it with the performance of a conventional engine doing the same job, steamed by the same boiler and burner combination.
Regards David Powell.
Jim Dobson

Post by Jim Dobson »

Thanks David, its been ridiculously hot since I finished this and have had only limited time in my shed. I did hook it up to a DIY genny and it lit a bank of globes very easily. There's a fair bit of internal centrifugal weight when its up and spinning, but it won't have the same grunt as a steam engine.
Cheers Jim
My Youtube Channel -
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

David Powell wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:25 pm Obviously a lot of fun, and careful work. Perhaps it would be interesting to see it driving something, maybe a propellor in a tank of water, and compare it with the performance of a conventional engine doing the same job, steamed by the same boiler and burner combination.
Regards David Powell.
It would be even more interesting to see the insides.
Jim Dobson

Post by Jim Dobson »

John Hasler wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:07 pm
David Powell wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:25 pm Obviously a lot of fun, and careful work. Perhaps it would be interesting to see it driving something, maybe a propellor in a tank of water, and compare it with the performance of a conventional engine doing the same job, steamed by the same boiler and burner combination.
Regards David Powell.
It would be even more interesting to see the insides.
Its pretty simple inside, I made the vanes out of quite thick copper sheet and they are very heavily silver brazed into place on the brass section to with stand the force on them. I think I might have to invest in one of those el cheapo digital tachometers on eBay as I would like to know the rpm's.
Hooked it up a little while ago to a small DIY genny and it lit up a gang of light bulbs without a problem.
Fan.jpg
Cheers Jim
My Youtube Channel -