tie work

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: on to victory

Post by SteveM »

If you have a tunnel, it looks like you'll be seeing the light at the end of it soon.

Steve
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Is this a continuation of this thread "tie work"?
https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vi ... 8&t=110111
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

yup sorry about that, i'll remember just to put on the old thread next time
B&OBob

Re: tie work

Post by B&OBob »

Congratulations, Dan, on your continued major effort to replace wood ties with plastic. It will inevitably demonstrate the falicy of dominate thinking in some clubs that plastic ties are "too expensive." What will those misguided club officials do when their sacred wood ties inevitably rot and need replacement (again) by a then-aged membership?

B&OBob
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Look good Dan. I found that my Ryobi sawzall made a great tamper.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Steam Engine Dan

B&OBob wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:54 pm Congratulations, Dan, on your continued major effort to replace wood ties with plastic. It will inevitably demonstrate the falicy of dominate thinking in some clubs that plastic ties are "too expensive." What will those misguided club officials do when their sacred wood ties inevitably rot and need replacement (again) by a then-aged membership?

B&OBob
thanks bob, it's really coming out great and I agree 100 percent that this has to be done, no matter the cost physically or financially. it has to be done. and I hope my efforts will inspire other clubs and their members. that this is the way to go and for the better benefit of everyone from age 5 to age 65.
Last edited by Steam Engine Dan on Sat May 29, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Steam Engine Dan

Gra2472 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:43 pm Look good Dan. I found that my Ryobi sawzall made a great tamper.
Thank You!
tomc

Post by tomc »

Gra2472 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:43 pm Look good Dan. I found that my Ryobi sawzall made a great tamper.
what are you using for a tamping foot?

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Any concerns regarding the vertical height of the plastic tie being shorter than the wooden tie? Or are you using the tall tie?

I like the idea of the tall unit with the foot..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

I just used a worn out blade as the tamping foot. Its great because like a real tamper it will vibrate itself through the rock to get UNDER the ties. The reciprocal motion helps to drive the rock under while it vibrates the rock down into the void under the ties. As soon as it starts to push back or rock starts to fly rather than disappear under tie, you're done. If I had HUGE holes under the ties I would drive the ballast under with my shovel handle first. Using the sawzall I could tamp very quickly and it did a very good job.
If I get a chance this evening after work, I will try to get some video to demonstrate.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Steam Engine Dan

Bill Shields wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:50 am Any concerns regarding the vertical height of the plastic tie being shorter than the wooden tie? Or are you using the tall tie?

I like the idea of the tall unit with the foot..
well sadly accu tie is only making the tall ties for 7.5 gauge right now, but the smaller ties as far as vertical height. honestly have no effect. we did have a few areas heat kink last year. but those areas are fixed and so far no other issues have occurred. plus bill with the smaller ties, I can pack the ballast under the ties with my scoop better especially in the center. plus I have better control when im spacing them apart from one another. so honestly the smaller ties just work better and faster. I wouldn't have gotten as far and fast as I have these last 4 years if we were using tall ties. or still cutting and gauging the old fashioned way
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

I seem to recall reading that 1:1 railroads avoid tamping in the middle of the tie, as it may make it unstable if the shoulders get soft? Just curious, have never done it myself...