power to the cylinders

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Emfinger

power to the cylinders

Post by Emfinger »

Hello, most everything has been worked out thanks to you guys. One more question while trying to make the grade my 7 1/2" 2-4-2 stopped. The question is " how can I test the rings or how well the cylinders are working. Where do I start? I operate around 90 PSI and didn't notice any steam coming out anywhere.
Thank you
Tom
David Powell

Re: power to the cylinders

Post by David Powell »

MY first test is simple. I get steam up to about 25 lbs, run the motions for long enough for the cylinders to warm up. then , if brakes are fitted apply brakes firmly, if not lock the motions with a bar between spokes and frame. Then open the regulator slowly to wide open. Put hand over chimney and feel if there is any steam coming up the exhaust pipe, Repeat with the motions at different positions. If theres nothing then you are very fortunate, if there is a minor blow by then there is hope, but you will not win an efficiency contest, if there is a mighty blow then you have problems with valves or pistons or both. You can do this with compressed air but the results may not be so accurate, especially if you have piston valves without rings.
Regards David Powell.
Emfinger

Re: power to the cylinders

Post by Emfinger »

OK, I'll do that...seems like I should have known that...sometimes I just miss the obvious.
Thank you, I'll post my results.
Tom