Source for 4-40 acorn nuts (flexible staybolt caps)?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

amadlinger

Source for 4-40 acorn nuts (flexible staybolt caps)?

Post by amadlinger »

Hi all,

I am in need of low-crown 4-40 acorn nuts to use as flexible staybolt caps for backhead/throat sheet/side sheet wrappers, as Jack and others have done. The ones from McMaster, and several other suppliers, are all too tall...0.250". Several suppliers *say* they offer low-crown versions that are only 0.200" according to their spec sheets (which would be perfect), but when they double check the actual nuts they are 0.250"+. I have gone through this with at least 6 vendors so far. Very frustrating.

Does anyone have a confirmed source for 4-40 low crown acorn nuts?

P.S. This is for my 1.5" scale, 7.25" gauge B&M K8b 2-8-0.

Sincerely,
Adam
NP317

Re: Source for 4-40 acorn nuts (flexible staybolt caps)?

Post by NP317 »

Nope. Don't know of a source.
I used the .25" tall ones for my fake staybolt caps.
No one has complained yet...
RussN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

McMaster-Carr says depth of thread on brass is 3/32" and it's 5/32" for steel 4-40 nuts. There might be enough material to take .050 off of the top. Use a form tool and a threaded stud in the lathe. A chemical black coloring would make the brass look right.

You could make them from 1/4" hex. The short thread depth into a blind hole might be a challenge. Maybe you could use a bottoming tap with any point on the end ground off in a guided tap holder that you feed by hand. Hold the tap against rotation with a knurled shaft that you can release so that it spins freely just before the tap breaks. A single form tool could put the dome on and do the cut off.
Fender

Post by Fender »

When comparing the full-size staybolt caps (shown in Flannery 1938 literature) to the 4-40 nuts, the most significant difference is with the height of the hex, not the height of the dome. So, you could probably trim off the bottom of the hex with a cutoff tool in the lathe (using an arbor with 4-40 threads on the end) to get a better proportion. See screenshots below.
Attachments
Flannery_Staybolt_caps.jpg
Flannery_Staybolt_4-40.jpg
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Fender

Post by Fender »

The diagrams for cap nuts at Bolt Depot look promising, but they don't list any actual dimensions for their nuts.
Attachments
Flannery_Staybolt_BoltDepot.jpg
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
amadlinger

Post by amadlinger »

Hi all,

I sincerely appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions! I have actually tried turning down commercial acorn nuts to a more appropriate size, but I found that the thread depth spec of 3/32" is a bit overstated (threads are shallower in actuality) but the tap drill hole is deeper than expected. The result is that you can only take off maybe 0.020" on either the hex or crown ends without running into trouble. Since I need qty (264) of these stinkers, it just doesn't seem worth the trouble. If only I had Trainman's Hardinge DSMA I'd be all set! :-)

Dan, Bolt Depot was actually one of the six vendors I tried, but they confirmed the 0.250" height on their stock.

At the moment, I am inclined to just use the 0.250" nuts as-is, as Russ suggested.

Many thanks again; any and all thoughts/suggestions are most welcome.

Sincerely,
Adam
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

amadlinger wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:00 pm If only I had Trainman's Hardinge DSMA I'd be all set! :-)
Might be worth looking into seeing what it'd cost for a custom run. I would think that if these came out well, you might have an opportunity to make a few bucks...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If you want shallow with threads to the bottom find someone who knows how to thread mill in a swiss type of lathe. This way you need zero chip clearance for the tap that is not being used..and give a full thread all the way to the bottom.

This is generally not done on mass production items such as you need...but will get the job done.

Setup will cost you $ but if you make them from leaded hex bar the items will cost a few cents on a production run of maybe 1000.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

No reason they can't be made on a manual machine, using a free machining material. The thread could be generated with a thread forming tap instead of cut. A tapping head would make that easy. The crown would be machined with a simple form tool, readily ground from a HSS blank. In reality, the hardest part of doing it is finding the desired material.

Making parts like this is an excellent way to become familiar with simple production techniques, where one works to the dial settings, or to DRO settings. Nice part is, this can be done on one's own equipment....no need to find any particular machinery.

Just sayin'

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mike McCotter

Post by Mike McCotter »

This is how I made them years ago(1993). By measuring the actual staybolt, I machined the correct size hex stock to the scale dimensions, drilled a 1/8" hole and by using a I/8" steel rivet, tig-tacked the rivet in the firebox sheet.
Attachments
DSCF1604 (640x480).jpg
DSCF1608 (640x480).jpg
Mike McCotter
Fender

Post by Fender »

Mike, that is a really nifty solution!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Mike that is some true dedication to literal rivet counting right there! I'd probably have a panic attack half way through making the 300 hundred needed and go buy a GP9.

Always enjoy seeing pics of your mikado though! Incredible detail!

What does Jack use ? I'd start there.