Anyone here go to high lines all over the country?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

tsph6500

Re: Anyone here go to high lines all over the country?

Post by tsph6500 »

I am currently doing some layout & excavation work at my home in preparation for erecting a 385-foot loop with 3-1/2" & 4-3/4" track. It was one of three layouts that Art Ellis (Niagara Interlake RR) had built.

I also regularly travel to clubs in the eastern part of Canada & USA.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

Jim will your track be on the ground or a high line as it was built
Joe
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Joe Tanski wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:59 pm Jim will your track be on the ground or a high line as it was built
Joe
Hi Joe,

It will be an elevated track.

I bolted a few of the 16-foot lengths together on the ground for some young nephews & nieces to get a taste of coal-fired live steam before winter arrived but at 6' 4" tall there ain't no way I'm going to be running on the ground.

Some of the kids even learned the laws of physics concerning the distance required to bring a train to a stop.

No harm was done to kids or the loco.
Attachments
IMG_8357-2048px.jpg
IMG_5386-2048px.jpg
IMG_8356-2048px.jpg
IMG_8486-2048px.jpg
IMG_8512-2048px.jpg
IMG_8480-2048px.jpg
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

shild wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:00 am Was wondering if someone can tell me what it's like going to steam clubs all across the country? Particularly ones with a high line? I have a taste of what it's like at Waushakum when they have their 3 day event. On those days I think a few of them come from Pioneer Valley, Some people will camp there all 3 days, it will be crowded enough that some people will have to park on the cul-de-sac and Karen circle, and sometimes neighbors will leave nasty notes on peoples cars complaining about it! So what's it like at other clubs?
well our club has a nice highline, not as long and exotic like a lot of others are. but im still proud of what we have. it is a dual gauged 3 ½": 700' elevated track; and 4¾": 700' elevated track; here is our website http://njlivesteamers.org/ back in the 60's, 70's 80's and 90's it was a mega of activity. but has seen very little use in the last decade despite having been completely rebuilt end to end. back in those days I used to hear stories of people scrambling for engine bays and guys sleeping in their vans on and off our property. I guess to fully answer your question is if you are high line person you just gotta go to these clubs with high lines and try them out for yourself. come check out ours when corona is gone.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Nils is a good elevation track
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Re: Physics Lesson up above:

The answer is to make sure the last piece of track is sloped at a severe grade uphill, so that the train can't easily go over the end. I think I used something like 3.5"/8' (AKA a pair of 4x4's under the base...) when I had the portable track setup with Caribou. It was of less importance with Thing because you can time Thing on a 100' line, with a monthly calendar. :)

I'll be off to cut up some more tieplates for home later on today- waiting till I'm alone because it's a tad bit loud of a job. I've done 170/600. I intend on 3.5/5/7.x on 4 rails, and about 600' of track, with 30' curves. On the ground, not elevated. Though some sections are going to be quite elevated by dirt fill...12' down at the high point. (6' of embankment, 6' of cut below that for our barn)

James
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

In California:

Golden Gate Live Steamers outside of San Francisco has a really nice 4 3/4', 3 1/2", and 2 1/2" elevated track.
Jack Bodenman's private track in Southern California is also first rate.
Matt Mason
shild

Post by shild »

Thanks for the replies everyone!
mattmason wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:57 am In California:

Golden Gate Live Steamers outside of San Francisco has a really nice 4 3/4', 3 1/2", and 2 1/2" elevated track.
Jack Bodenman's private track in Southern California is also first rate.
How is Golden Gate doing with everyone leaving California and all the problems with over taxation?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

shild wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:52 pm How is Golden Gate doing with everyone leaving California and all the problems with over taxation?
This topic is leaning towards being political. Please refrain from discussing politics on this board.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

it is only political if you live in California. :shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
INGE

Post by INGE »

If you search the following on you tube it should bring you to my videos which include highline videos at St. Croix RR and Manitoba Live Steamers

1 inch live steam railroad Circus Pacific Railway
shild

Post by shild »

INGE wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:54 am If you search the following on you tube it should bring you to my videos which include highline videos at St. Croix RR and Manitoba Live Steamers

1 inch live steam railroad Circus Pacific Railway
Nice video's! Nice engines! The Manitoba high line looks great, wish I could find more videos of it. The St. Croix RR highline itself has ugly track these days. How many gauges is that? Very bad taste trying to be all things to all people like that. But I found this video from when the high line was wood and it looked a lot better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa2iLpxjoh4