Might try widening an LGB loco to 3/4" scale. Anyone seen that done?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shild

Might try widening an LGB loco to 3/4" scale. Anyone seen that done?

Post by shild »

Been thinking about trying to widen an LGB loco to 3/4" scale. Was thinking maybe start with a Bachman Big Hauler 4-6-0, widen it with longer axles, glue much wider running boards over the ones already on it, maybe make a completely new cab or at least a completely new roof after widening the cab, then maybe a much wider cow catcher. Still thinking about what to do about the tender. Anyone seen something like this done before?
Bill Shields

Re: Might try widening an LGB loco to 3/4" scale. Anyone seen that done?

Post by Bill Shields »

are you planning on riding behind it?..If so you need to consider traction available

There is a fellow at our club who has a loco that was originally a 1/2" scale (2.5" gauge) loco that has been widened to run on 3/4" (3.5" gauge track).

it looks a little odd but he runs it well and enjoys himself, which is what is important.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

As far as I know, nobody has done that up to 3/4" scale. I have heard of some people taking an LGB motor brick, making new axles and wheels for it, and re-using it for either 2 1/2" gauge or F scale Standard gauge (2.781" gauge). But these are for scenic models, definitely not anything ride-on. I have a Bachmann narrow gauge 4-wheel switching unit in gauge 1 that I was thinking about re-gauging to 2 1/2" gauge at some point. It has outside cranks and inside the frame drive wheels. Was thinking about just making new drive wheels and putting them outside the frame to make it 2 1/2" gauge. After looking at the way they built the locomotive, it would be more difficult than I had first imagined it would be. So I have never done that. You will likely find the same thing. Is there a particular reason you're wanting to do this?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I saw someone who had built a trolley to convert 4-3/4" locomotive to 7-1/x".

It used rollers spaced for the 4-3/4" on the top side, geared to wheels underneath that fit the larger track.

Steve
B&OBob

Post by B&OBob »

What does this have to do with live steam?

B&OBob
shild

Post by shild »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:49 am are you planning on riding behind it?..If so you need to consider traction available

Not at first but eventually.
shild

Post by shild »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:52 am Is there a particular reason you're wanting to do this?
I don't have the patience to build a proper live steamer all at once. But this way I might be able to get there in stages, if I make/buy parts that can be used on a real live steamer. First I'll have something that looks, 3/4" scale, then get it to a stage it runs around the track, then a stage it can pull me and so on.
shild

Post by shild »

SteveM wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:09 am I saw someone who had built a trolley to convert 4-3/4" locomotive to 7-1/x".

It used rollers spaced for the 4-3/4" on the top side, geared to wheels underneath that fit the larger track.

Steve
:lol: :lol: :lol:
shild

Post by shild »

B&OBob wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:30 pm What does this have to do with live steam?

B&OBob
If I keep making and buying parts that can be used on a real live steamer like castings and such, eventually I can have a real live steamer. Or maybe not if I find it's not for me.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

shild wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:17 pm
B&OBob wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:30 pm What does this have to do with live steam?

B&OBob
If I keep making and buying parts that can be used on a real live steamer like castings and such, eventually I can have a real live steamer. Or maybe not if I find it's not for me.
That is not a very good way to go about things. If you want a LIVE STEAM locomotive, you don’t want to waste your time and money on something that will disappoint you. There is no way that a Bachmann electric train motor will pull you. If you don’t have machinist skills and the don’t wish to learn how to build a locomotive, the you can buy one that already is running. Or if you do want to build a locomotive and I would highly recommend that path, then take some evening courses at a local vocational school. You will learn proper techniques and you will have access the tools you need to build a locomotive. There are a number of excellent beginners locomotives available such as the 0-4-0 by Kozo Hiraoka or the Raritan available from Joe Tanski. There are also beginners locomotives available from Friends/Yankee shop. But being in a live steam hobby requires a serious investment in time and money.
Keith
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

What I think you will find is that nothing that you will work on or modify to put on your electric locomotive will translate over to a live steam locomotive later on. Steam Locomotives are built with the end in mind, and so many parts of them have to be designed to work together, so I don't think you'll get very far towards your goal doing it in this manner.

However, I would actually encourage you to get a small steamer that can run on 45mm tracks (gauge 1), and play with that to maybe satisfy your steam craving right now. You can gets started in live steam with something like an Accucraft Ruby 0-4-0 that you can get for about $600, and it should be able to be run pretty easily. Get yourself a loop of used LGB track, put it down on the patio, deck, or driveway, and you can play trains with real live steam.

You can also build something like a small battery powered electric switcher in 3/4" scale, something like the Fair Weather Foundry Mighty Mac. It's a really neat looking small battery powered locomotive that will get you out on the rails pretty quickly, and relatively inexpensive.

If you really want to be involved in the hobby, there are more ways than one to do it.
shild

Post by shild »

LVRR2095 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:47 pm
shild wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:17 pm

B&OBob
That is not a very good way to go about things. If you want a LIVE STEAM locomotive, you don’t want to waste your time and money on something that will disappoint you. There is no way that a Bachmann electric train motor will pull you. If you don’t have machinist skills and the don’t wish to learn how to build a locomotive, the you can buy one that already is running. Or if you do want to build a locomotive and I would highly recommend that path, then take some evening courses at a local vocational school. You will learn proper techniques and you will have access the tools you need to build a locomotive. There are a number of excellent beginners locomotives available such as the 0-4-0 by Kozo Hiraoka or the Raritan available from Joe Tanski. There are also beginners locomotives available from Friends/Yankee shop. But being in a live steam hobby requires a serious investment in time and money.
Keith
I've got some machinist skills, what I don't have is boiler building skills. And no, I'm not expecting a Bachman electric train motor to pull me!