Logging Disconnects

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ccvstmr

Re: Logging Disconnects

Post by ccvstmr »

Glenn and RK...

Thanks for your spring suggestions. Have to admit...this was my mistake. Misunderstood the logging disconnect builder. He did NOT go to a spring-in-a-spring design for increased load bearing capability. Instead, he drilled/tapped the underside for another 1/4-20 flat head bolt (spring keeper) and installed a 3rd coil spring. He bought a box of these springs years ago...seems like an endless supply.

Now, he's got 300# on 12 springs instead of 8 spring...or approx. 25# per spring instead of 37.5# per spring. Must be working as the springs are not coil bound under the weight of those large logs. Just thought I'd share that. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Well Guys...the saga of the 2.5" scale logging disconnects continues. Think a couple of you out there will enjoy this.

In an effort to "secure" the log loads, the builder found some chain to tie the logs down on the trunnions. He wanted something that looked as close to scale chain as possible. Found some welded link 316 stainless steel chain at McMaster Carr...chain is rated for an 88# load. Worse case scenario, can add a 2nd chain to each log end.

The builder made some clevises using thread rod and small rod couplings that were slit on one end and cross drilled/tapped for a screw. The idea, use the clevis to remove as much chain link slack as possible. Then, take up the remaining slack with a nut on the thread rod.

I helped make up a bunch of loops and pins too start coupling disconnects for track testing. Here's some pix...

IMG_5047.JPG

Here's a closer view of the adjustable chain clevis...

IMG_5049.JPG

BUT WAIT...there's more! Now tighten up your seat belts...don't want anyone to fall off their chairs when they see the next photo. The log loads were modified for riding train crew members using a precision cutting tool (chain saw). The center of each log was hollowed out. One crew per disconnect. Figured the center cut outs reduced the weight of each log by 100# or so.

When the builder sent me a photo of a modified log, I sent him back a list of comments. The 1st of which was...where's the cup holder? This was followed by...need foot pegs...and a few other assorted comments. Suggested the disconnects be turned so feet didn't accidentally kick the brake wheels. These upgrades are forthcoming as we prepare for road trip. And yes, each log is equipped with a swiveling boat seat for easy-er seating and ejection.

When I saw the modified logs together, took a piece of duct tape to stick to the side and wrote... YDD RR ...Yabba Dabba Doo RR! And yes, we did joke about putting overhead awnings on the cars for some mobile shade. At least we don't need holes in the floor boards to provide locomotion!

IMG_5048.JPG

What comes next? Well, need a logging train caboose. Saw something like this a while back at another track. Dipped into my photo archives and came up with the following from 2005. Thought something like this would look great following up the rear of a logging disconnect train. About as close as one could get to an out-house on wheels. Here's the photo of a 1.5" scale logging caboose. Should be relatively easy to pump something like that up on steroids to make a 2.5" scale 'boose...

141-4103_IMG.JPG

So, that's it for this update. Will get back with future enhancements or other matter worth joking about in the future. Cheerz! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Very cool and creative!
RussN