3/4 inch scale Challenger

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Goodbody

3/4 inch scale Challenger

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Some of you may have spotted this 'fly-by-wire' 3.5 inch gauge Challenger which sold recently (and very quickly) through Station Road Steam in the UK. I have no connection with the builder or seller, but the pictures and description are extremely impressive and well worth a look - here's a link to the site: https://www.stationroadsteam.com/3-12-i ... code-9218/

I believe the following YouTube video shows this same loco in operation a few years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a535-pdluXE

Best regards
Steve
shild

Re: 3/4 inch scale Challenger

Post by shild »

Now that is a steam clubbin man right there!.. Look at those riding cars! You can take people for a ride who have no sense of balance whatsoever!
shild

Post by shild »

What do you call riding cars like that? Do they have extra rollers for when people tilt the car too far and it hits? Or does it just slide?
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

shild wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:49 pm What do you call riding cars like that? Do they have extra rollers for when people tilt the car too far and it hits? Or does it just slide?
The tracks set up for those types of riding cars have anti-tipping rails. If the car started to tip the leg guards engage the anti-tipping rails and prevent the car from tipping over/
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

The track at the steam & technology museum in Hamilton Ontario CA, home of the Golden Triangle Live Steamers, has such an anti-tipping rail on each side of the track. (It's the pipe on each side of the track at some distance below the rail head.) I have designed and built a riding car to run on this track and the anti-tipping feature works very well indeed. I believe this anti-tipping thing is pretty well a necessity when straddle-riding on the track is desired.

The track at Les Cedres of the Montreal Live Steamers does not have this anti-tipping feature and I found that straddle riding to be near impossible. Side saddle riding, with the legs inside the loop as much as possible, was the method I found workable. The legs could be swung in and out as required to balance the car as required, minimizing tipping and derailment to a very large extend. w
shild

Post by shild »

I see. Can't stand the look of them though. They just look wrong! I much prefer side saddle riding.
PRR G5s

Post by PRR G5s »

I've run straddle riding on tracks without the anti-tipping rail with only minor problems. The "biggest problem" is that passengers don't understand the concept that you can't step up onto the foot rests like it's a step on a ladder. Obviously, you can't hop off like you can riding side saddle. I prefer riding straddle, but don't mind side saddle. As long as I'm running a 3/4" scale steam engine, I don't care how I'm sitting. :D

Eric L.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Whats with the wierd contraption on the stack, blowing exhaust out sideways
davidk

Post by davidk »

As you say, an exhaust deflector. It helps prevent a warm, wet, oily shower for the driver, passengers and onlookers! Many club visitors don't like going home after a day out with their clothes spotted with oil...

David
I've cut this bit of wood three times now, and it's still too small!
rbertalotto

Post by rbertalotto »

I'm confused...Is it really 3/4 scale? That would be huge, wouldn't it? Or is it 3/4" to the foot. As you can see, I know very little about this type of hobby.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The thread title specifies "3/4 inch scale Challenger"
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Hmmm. A little misleading, no?

3/4" scale, or is it 3/4"=12" scale. For the unknowing, it could easily be assumed to be a true 3/4 scale. It would, indeed, be quite large.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.