Decauville 0-4-0 1:22.58 Scale

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Re: Decauville 0-4-0 1:22.58 Scale

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

2 1/2" gauge! Nice! I really like that gauge, but it's almost non-existent on the north American continent. Probably all of about a dozen people actively modelling in that gauge. That's part of what is so interesting to me about it, though. There is quite a bit of 2 1/2" gauge equipment out there, most of it built back in the 1920's-1940's.
You didn't say where you were located. Sometimes putting a general area in your signature will help people know where you are and advise you better about clubs, available tracks, parts and materials suppliers, etc...

Good Luck! Very interested in anything in this gauge, especially steam.
diddler

Post by diddler »

I always loved Locomotives, just never thought about building one from scratch. It is a wonderful thing to see something with great history come alive with your own two hands. The welding/ silver soldering of the boiler itself has me a little worried. Not enough that I wont do it, but worried nun the less. I am looking forward to building a larger scale steamer, or finding one that i can resurrect some day. Thank you for the welcome to this fourm.

Rick AKA diddler
diddler

Post by diddler »

What makes the better boiler, Copper or Steel. Finding 3.5 dia copper pipe is not working out, I can find 3.5 dia steam pipe....thoughts?
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

For 2 1/2" gauge, copper boilers are what's normal. In fact, I've never seen a steel boiler in anything smaller than a large 3/4" scale locomotive.
For the small scales, copper is better because it can be made using thinner materials, has better heat transfer, doesn't corrode like steel, and will have a lot more steaming and water space inside. Building a boiler that small out of 1/4" plate would have very small water legs and/or a lot smaller grate area.

Ever thought about getting a slightly smaller or larger diameter copper pipe and just going with that? McMaster Carr has a 3" copper pipe listed in 2', 5' and 10" lengths. https://www.mcmaster.com/type-k-copper-tubing/
diddler

Post by diddler »

I have thought about it, However, this is my first ever live steamer, and I want it to be built to the spec on the drawing for scale. Maybe I am wrong, but if I compromise on the boiler size in my mind I will not be building as intended. I thought of rolling the tube in copper, but then there will be a seam. Thank you for your insight on the loss using a steal tube. I will continue my quest to find 3.5 dia copper, maybe out of the UK
diddler

Post by diddler »

Found the copper, https://www.onlinemetals.com/ Thank you for the kick in the right direction.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

AJ Reeves has the copper you need.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

diddler wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:35 am Everyone , thank you so much for your replies.
Not very big, but plan on changing the scale 7.5 when finished with this one.
You mention “scale 7.5” and I am assuming you are referring to a track gauge of 7.5 inches. I notice that you are in Saratoga, New York.
You might wish to consider building to 7.25 inch gauge as that is the standard for 1 - 1/2” scale in the Northeast United States and Eastern Canada.
All of the club tracks near you are 7 - 1/4” gauge.

Keith
diddler

Post by diddler »

Thanks Keith, I started doing the Locomotive in the scale on the drawing. Once I have finished with that, I will be scaling it up to the 7.25 inch gauge.

I was able to finish the rough cut of the wheels this weekend.....FYI they were cut on the Harbor Fright lathe and Milling machine LOL :-)
Attachments
wheel 3.jpg
wheel2.jpg
I managed to do this all with one cutter, with a little touch up now and then.
I managed to do this all with one cutter, with a little touch up now and then.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That's a lot of nice work!
RussN
diddler

Post by diddler »

When I first started building this Locomotive, I had so many questions. After reading many posts I come to realize the years of experience I have in so many fields,I could draw on what I have pigeon holed, then all the questions I found the answers within. Valve timing was a gray area for me, but if you think about it, very simple to understand. I have watched many youtube vid on running the locomotive, and in most of them they have to start the wheels by turning them......something is wrong there if you need to do that. Also, the revolution are not smooth, I can only think that the holes were not drilled equal on both sides. So by reviewing the videos, made me pre-think each step and the consequence if getting it wrong. Removing the material from the one side of the wheel for a moment made no sense to me. When the weight on the other side of the wheel with the connecting rod would make it heaver. Well then I realized , the wheel on the other side needed to be added to the equation. Thanks everyone
diddler

Post by diddler »

A little more work finished, wheels are powder coated and installed, timing was tough do to having to press the wheels on, But I got it.
Attachments
wheel3.jpg
wheel4.jpg