Decauville 0-4-0 1:22.58 Scale

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

diddler

Decauville 0-4-0 1:22.58 Scale

Post by diddler »

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am building a Decauville 0-4-0 1:22.58 scale scratch from PDF files I found on the web. Just want to post my build as it goes, and chat with anyone willing to chat.
The pic i have posted are where I am in the build. The frame has been powder coated with black matte and the cab is matte green camo.
Any input will be well appreciated
Attachments
frame.jpg
frame.jpg (22.97 KiB) Viewed 19459 times
chassie.jpg
cab.jpg
FKreider

Re: Decauville 0-4-0 1:22.58 Scale

Post by FKreider »

Very nice work!
-Frank K.
diddler

Post by diddler »

Than you Frank, FYI all the machining is being done on the small lathe and milling machine from Harbor Fright. With some improvements such as gib work, auto feeds installed ETC.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

diddler:
Nice looking work! Keep going on it.
What gauge will it be, and where are you located?
You can your location that by your name on these posts, if desired.
RussN
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

People trash Harbor Freight tools, but your work proves that it's the skill of the man not the tools he uses. Good start.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SCBryan

Post by SCBryan »

Reminds me of the old saying: "Tis a poor workman who blames his tools."
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Hello Diddler,
I thought you might find this to be of interest. Quite a few years ago I came across this Decauville for 45mm gauge, built by a fellow in France. Other than a series of photographs very little else was known or found out about the project, and my attempts at contact weren't returned. Included in what I found were photos of a complete set of waxes produced for the project, which suggested a commercial future, but nothing ever appeared on the market.

There are small differences in the frame plates so I don't think this is the same model or prototype you are building, but may be of some interest anyway.

As an aside, I was once involved in producing the instructions & drawings for a small-prototype Climax live steam locomotive for Gauge-1, produced in England. All parts which required anything more than drilling or cutting were lost-wax to allow those without machine tools to build one. The concept was successful, in that it produced a working model without machine tools as intended, but the few sales came nowhere close to recouping the very large development and production costs. That could very well be what happened here.
Attachments
Decauville-1.jpg
Decauville-2.jpg
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

What happened to the 7.5 gauge decauville 0-4-0 that ran some at Mid south?
FRED DADDI

Post by FRED DADDI »

I have a 4 3/4 ga Decauville 0-6-2 i would love to know something about....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
diddler

Post by diddler »

Everyone , thank you so much for your replies.
I had to do a lot of rework on the Harbor Fright Tools to make them work well. I did not do anything on the locomotive this week, however I will post as I go. This Loco will be 27 Inch long and a track gauge of 2.5 ". Not very big, but plan on changing the scale 7.5 when finished with this one. I found the PDF files on the web, there is some dim that are not correct, however, if you know where the part is being placed you can correct the problem before you have to remake it LOL. I am a new bee on the locomotive build, I see there is much talent on this forum, and will appreciate any input good or bad.
I will offer up a link where I found the PDF files. http://www.vapeuretmodelesavapeur.com/t ... 0-64mm.pdf

Thank you again for your kind words
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

My thoughts on your comment . . . .
Not a single one of us was born knowing anything about live steam or metalworking. We are ALL moving through various stages if enlightenment and IMHO you cease to be a "Newbee" the moment you pick up a book, open a web site, or have a question answered.
It's your choice of course, but so long as you call yourself a Newbee . . you will be. You're well beyond that point now so a Newbee you aren't.

Thanks for the link, and looking forward to seeing your progress.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

What a find! Thanks Diddler
This guy has some interesting stuff. I had to poke around but found a way to translate to english.
To get there the easy way, use the address by erasing everything to the right of .com.... such as...
www.vapeuretmodelesavapeur.com
Scotty