Decauville 0-4-0 1:22.58 Scale

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jeanluc83

Re: Decauville 0-4-0 1:22.58 Scale

Post by jeanluc83 »

That is a fast build!

When you are done you really should reach out to Julian de Waal, the original designer. You may very well be the first to complete this engine from his design. I’m sure any feedback would be appreciated.

I would also recommend contacting the National 2-1/2” Gauge Association. This design was mentioned in the April issue of Steam Chest, their newsletter. I’ve only been a member for a couple of months now but it seems like a great organization and useful resource for information.

I’m curious what you plan on using for track. 2-1/2” gauge is pretty much defunct in this country so finding a club track will be tough. So far the best options I’ve found are groovy track using 1X1/4” flat bar or 3/4” scale track.
diddler

Post by diddler »

Jeanluc83, If you look at the 3rd picture , I found a company that makes the scale rail and Nails. I had to cut the ties. I will have to look for the name for you.
Thank you for your input, I will look in to the two
diddler

Post by diddler »

Jeanluc83, I sent a message to National 2-1/2 Gauge Association about my build. A funny thing, Julian de Waal, is a contributor on a site my build is being posted. http://www.vapeuretmodelesavapeur.com/r ... index.html. I believe he must know about the build. Up on this site, he has posted many cars for the locomotive that can be built.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

One thing to consider using for rails: Code 332 brass or steel rail. It is 0.332" tall, and is very sturdy. This is what the over-built LGB and other similar brands of track are built to, and they hold up really well both outdoors and indoors. I am pretty sure you can buy just the rails in stainless, aluminum, nickel plated, and brass. If you scale it out, it comes somewhere around 120 lb/yard rail I believe, maybe more. It should work fine for your 2 1/2" gauge models. 3/4" scale and 1" scale aluminum rail is typically 5/8" height. I've seen some of that, but have no idea where you would get it now. I've not really seen anything commercially available in between those sizes.

I have some display track in 2 1/2" gauge, and it was built using code 250 rail (.250" height), and it scales out to about 90 lbs/yard or something like that. That would be fine for a scenic railroad, but you'll want the heavier rail if you plan on trying to ride on it. I would start with the code 332 rail. I actually bought a box of steel rail, milled in England, which is almost code 332, having a heigt of approximately .325". I believe that it came from the old Kalamazoo line, but hasn't been available in several years. I have enough to make a couple of hundred feet of track.
diddler

Post by diddler »

Thank you for that information Pontiacguy1 very helpful. I am trying to design a displacement oiler that will work on this build of mine, looks like I will have to make two to fit in the line going down the the engines, don't want to take away from the look of the loco though.
Fender

Post by Fender »

jeanluc83 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:54 am .....
I’m curious what you plan on using for track. 2-1/2” gauge is pretty much defunct in this country so finding a club track will be tough. So far the best options I’ve found are groovy track using 1X1/4” flat bar or 3/4” scale track.
The Pennsylvania Live Steamers has a ground-level multi-gauge track for 4.75", 3.5" and 2.5" locomotives.
https://www.palivesteamers.org/images/l ... 019-04.pdf
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

It’s good to hear that there is at least one club with 2-1/2” gauge track but man 2-1/2" gauge on the ground!

I’m thinking that at some point I’ll build a small high line with dual 2-1/2” and 3-1/2” gauges. I’ve found 5/8” high rail that is available but I’m leaning more towards using groovy track. This will be many years away so it is just thinking at this point.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

I don’t think that there is any technical reason steel would not work for your boiler. The only problem I can think of is corrosion. The larger scales allow thicker pipe to be used so corrosion doesn’t present as much of a problem.

Personally, I would look into rolling your own boiler shell. Pick up any one of Kozo Hiraoka’s books. You will not find a better guide on how to build a small boiler.

Another good resource that can be found online is the build series for Martin Evans Eagle. It may also be of use for the various boiler fittings you are going to need. The series was run in Model Mechanics Magazine starting on vol 1 issue 3. All the issues can be found here:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/news/a ... -1--4/5462

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/news/a ... 5--10/5504

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/news/a ... art-2/5549
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

biggest problem that you are going to have with a steel boiler that size is that the water legs are going to be very small, and your firebox size is also going to have to be reduced some. Thus, scale and corrosion will quickly plug the water legs up solid, and your heat transfer will be less with steel as well. If you do use a steel boiler, or any boiler that small really, a suggestion would be to use distilled water in your boiler. This thing is small and won't use much water for a good run, so it should be affordable to do. You can get distilled water by the gallon pretty cheaply. Don't use deionized water. I'd still go for the copper boiler, just for better heat transfer and corrosion resistance. There is a reason that the smallest steel boilers you typically see in this hobby are large 3/4" scale locomotives like a Northern or Hudson. That's because the copper boilers just work better the smaller the boiler gets. In either case, good luck to you. I'm sure it will turn out just as good as the chassis has.
diddler

Post by diddler »

I thought I posted a reply this morning, who knows.
I do not think I will be making a large track to run this little bugger. I am building this for the fun, and function. Then I will be scaling it up, I have most of the drawing finished. I believe Adirondack Steamers of Wilton NY has a track I can run it on, I plane on joining them soon.
The boiler, I am having a problem with what to do, I attached a drawing of it, looks like it will do well in steel.
Attachments
boiler.PNG
diddler

Post by diddler »

I was wondering, should I drill a small hole in the bottom of this assembly (SA116) to allow the water to drain out, This is the exhaust from the cylinders over to the stack. Any thoughts?
Attachments
stack.PNG
stack.PNG (17.96 KiB) Viewed 7422 times
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

What are you going to fire this with? If you fire with Coal, you will need a really good draft to keep your steam up. I wouldn't drill a hole in it, it should be able to clear out after a little bit of running. That should be what you use your cylinder cocks for is to clear out the condensate. Some of the smaller scale locomotives (gauge 1, etc) don't have cylinder cocks at all. It's just expected that stuff is going to come out of the stack until everything gets warmed up. Some others with more small-scale experience could probably chime in with a better response. GWRDriver on this board has a lot of experience with small scale steamers and small copper boilers.