Steam Locomotive model drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Re: Steam Locomotive model drawings

Post by Harlock »

Dick_Morris wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:55 am 1-1/2" 0-4-0, L'il Lima, 7.25 gauge, 2-1/2(?) scale, Wato Locomotive Works
Lil' Lima is 3 3/4" scale and a 2-4-0.
Lima Mogul, 2-6-0, 7.25 gauge, 2-1/2" scale, Wato Engineering
This one is called the Lil' Mogul. Same parts with an extra driver. 3 3/4" scale.

Photo 1 is a Lil' Mogul, Photo 2 is a Lil' Lima.

WATO Engineering is Keith Watson, he of Sweet Creek fame, so these can be lumped under him. Don't know why I forgot them before, they are a favorite design of mine.

Cheers,

-Mike
Attachments
12-01-14_Mana-Ariki-9299_resize.jpg
12-01-05_whangerei-8143.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

jkimberln wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:23 pm Steve Vitkovits designed and had castings made for a light 2-8-2. Dick Thomas was also involved. The design was sold to Railroad Warehouse.
Dick Thomas had a full size erection drawing of the Baldwin 2-8-2 90 ton Mikado. Steve saw the drawing and said to Dick: "Lets build a locomotive." So Steve worked on the drawings from 1991 to 1993 obtained patterns and had them cast at a foundry in Fremont, CA. Steve wanted to go into business selling drawings and castings but Dick just wanted to build one example and bowed out of the business end. At that time there were about 6 engines built. Steve still has his and was at GGLS today to take it home for some pump work. The guys decided to sell the plans and all rights to Bob Petersen at Railroad Warehouse. Since Bob sold out, I have no idea what happened to the material. Steve still has all the originals and notes to the engine.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

The drawings and patterns for the 90 ton Mikado are up for sale by Railroad Warehouse, and have been for some time.

http://www.livesteam.com/discounted_par ... terns.html
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I have seen that entire 90-ton 2-8-2 build-set in person (when I picked up my casting set), and am just finishing detailing one of those Mikados.
The price is a really good deal, as it includes (last time I saw that For Sale info) sufficient castings to build at least two of the locomotives.
And a lower price since the last For Sale posting.

I hope someone decides to corral that entire locomotive build set while it's available and together.
I'm too old for that now.
RussN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

NP317 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:11 am I have seen that entire 90-ton 2-8-2 build-set in person (when I picked up my casting set), and am just finishing detailing one of those Mikados.
The price is a really good deal, as it includes (last time I saw that For Sale info) sufficient castings to build at least two of the locomotives.
And a lower price since the last For Sale posting.

I hope someone decides to corral that entire locomotive build set while it's available and together.
I'm too old for that now.
RussN
I would consider the line, but after dumping all the $$ into the new shop. I am tapped out.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Too bad, Chris. But I understand your thinking. I believe you could be the "perfect person" for that locomotive line.

I don't think the 90-ton 2-8-2 model was ever seriously marketed, and that could lead to sales.
And at this point, the CAD drawings should contain most of the corrections that were needed. My drawing set was good and accurate for my build.
First photo shows the two tables of castings, parts, flame-cut frames and plans, when I picked them up at Mound House, Nevada, in 2007.
Other pics are the results...
RussN
Attachments
1st-2 Rayonier #90 '07 010.jpg
KLS First Run2 small.jpg
First Move small.jpg
gman

Post by gman »

Not sure if this list is still being updated, but Martin Evans also did a 3-1/2" gauge 4-8-4 called Columbia. The drawings and castings are available from Blackgates Engineering in England. I've delt with them before and they have always provided a quality product.
Thanks for compiling this list, it's very informative.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

There are lots of 2.5" gauge (1/2" scale) North American type live steam locomotives (both plans and castings) available from the National 2.5" Gauge Association located in the UK. They have a published listing of everything which is available. This includes all of the Josslin/LBSC co-designs.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Richard and I have all of the known drawings (13 in total) for the Josslin NYC J-1(a,b) Hudsons in 3/4" scale. They originally came from the son or grandson of P.E. Hunt (Percy, Eldon), Howard Hunt who had the original tracings.

There are no castings for this model which I have ever been able to locate even though I have other 3/4" scale (NYC ?) hybrid Hudson locomotives which display some of the same castings.
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

Talk to Adam Maldinger or David Bortz about the B&M K8 Consolidation started by Pat Allen and Herbert Smith at Boston Model Rail Road about 1972
I revised some of the patterns and the cylinder core boxes and Adam is making construction drawings for the engine.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

gman wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:35 am Not sure if this list is still being updated, but Martin Evans also did a 3-1/2" gauge 4-8-4 called Columbia. The drawings and castings are available from Blackgates Engineering in England. I've delt with them before and they have always provided a quality product.
Thanks for compiling this list, it's very informative.
I added Martin Evans "Columbia" to the list. Thanks for pointing it out!
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org