Thieves caught on video stealing mini steam train in West Seattle

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

BAdams

Thieves caught on video stealing mini steam train in West Seattle

Post by BAdams »

For those that may have not heard: https://komonews.com/news/local/thieves ... st-seattle

Brook
DavidF

Re: Thieves caught on video stealing mini steam train in West Seattle

Post by DavidF »

Pretty sad. Obviously they knew it was there and had the theft planned. On the brighter side (if you can call it that) Its doubtful that they just stole it for scrap metal, so hopefully it shows back up as a complete engine.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

This is just bizarre. Do they think no one will notice it in their living room or something? "Hey, nice steam engine, did you build it?"

Posted it on FB in Washington State.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
fly5150

Post by fly5150 »

I was impressed with the quality of the security camera footage, it should help it identifying who it may be. Much better than you see Banks and other public buildings use. IT does bring to light the need to protect, and looking at the latest technology in camera systems.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

DavidF wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:38 am Pretty sad. Obviously they knew it was there and had the theft planned. On the brighter side (if you can call it that) Its doubtful that they just stole it for scrap metal, so hopefully it shows back up as a complete engine.
Or all they knew was that "Those things are worth a lot of money" and when they can't find a buyer they'll try to sell it for scrap (they may not be able to find a scrap dealer who will take it) or throw it in a ditch.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Pretty sad indeed. My home state is becoming quite the cesspool of crime with it's "sanctuary cities":(
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

When it comes to thieves, I'm betting on stupid. If they were not idiots, they would be successful in real jobs. They probably have no idea how hard it will be to sell a miniature train.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
wms6

Post by wms6 »

Unreal :( I wonder if they're doing something like the car theft rings, shipping stolen stuff out of the country. Can't imagine them trying to sell that locally, each engine is unique.
4-6-2 Canadian Pacific finished 1973
0-8-0 Indiana Harbor Belt 102 in progress
Western Maryland Shay #6 in progress
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

fly5150 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:33 am I was impressed with the quality of the security camera footage, it should help it identifying who it may be. Much better than you see Banks and other public buildings use. IT does bring to light the need to protect, and looking at the latest technology in camera systems.

It is a good quality video. Many of the cheap multi camera systems for sale have a poor picture quality and can't be used to identify people. Though at least in the two short clips in the news they were keeping their faces obscured.

If this makes you think about security for you home or shop there are systems available that do not require extensive wiring. The sensors are wireless and the whole thing sets up quick. After my next door neighbors dope smoking son tried to break in I bought the alarm gear on-line and installed it all in a couple hours. Monitoring was around $120/year. Then I learned if I added a smoke detector to the system and showed my home owners insurance carrier the system was monitored they would give a 20% discount on my home owners insurance.
Tim B Guenther

Post by Tim B Guenther »

wms6 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:33 pm I wonder if they're doing something like the car theft rings, shipping stolen stuff out of the country.
If it is 7-1/2" gauge, most other countries are 7-1/4." Good luck re-gauging it smaller...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

pat1027 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:14 pm If this makes you think about security for you home or shop there are systems available that do not require extensive wiring. The sensors are wireless and the whole thing sets up quick. After my next door neighbors dope smoking son tried to break in I bought the alarm gear on-line and installed it all in a couple hours. Monitoring was around $120/year. Then I learned if I added a smoke detector to the system and showed my home owners insurance carrier the system was monitored they would give a 20% discount on my home owners insurance.
I have a monitored system. The other day, I got a phone call from the fire department. They were sitting outside my gate, along with the cops.

Apparently, the people at the monitoring company are told to send help if you get your security code wrong over the phone. They aren't supposed to tell you it's wrong. I did not know that; in the past, I had always gotten phone representatives who bent the rules.

I had set the alarm off while bumbling around in a half-awake stupor, and when they called, I gave them the code for another house.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I can't get the video to play beyond 20 seconds. Did the the thieves take the tender too?
RN