Getting ahold of Cannonball

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Getting ahold of Cannonball

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I would like to purchase one of Cannonball's headlights. I have called them at least 6 times over the past week or two, but there is no answering machine. I have sent several emails during that same time span with no response. Are they still in business?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
hoppercar

Re: Getting ahold of Cannonball

Post by hoppercar »

this seems to be the new norm with suppliers...I've had calls out to several, and cant get any responses
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Most of the supplies do Live Steam as a sideline job.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

FLtenwheeler wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:33 am Most of the supplies do Live Steam as a sideline job.

Tim
That may be, but it's no excuse for ignoring potential customers. People with manners don't do that to folks who are trying to spend their hard earned money with them. Why is it so difficult to acknowledge an inquiry?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I finally heard back from them. They said they emailed me a week ago. I didn't get it. Maybe a computer thing? Oddly, though, they suggested I leave a message on their answering machine but I let it ring for what seems like forever and never got a machine. Anyway, we are in business.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Ben,
You might check your spam folder in email.

Sometimes random emails get put in there.

Take care,
Brian
blff cty lcmtv wrks

Post by blff cty lcmtv wrks »

I have dealt with all the above mentioned suppliers. the only one that, imho, treated me like I was an appreciated customer, was the late gene allen. he was the owner of allen models. you called him. he or his wife answered. you placed an order. I remember calling to place an order at 8am, Memphis time. needles to say, I woke them up. I forgot that is was just 6am west coast time. it didn't seem to phase them. his wife answered the phone, and after I apologized profusely, she said it was time for him to get up, anyway. I placed a big order that day. we all had a good laugh about it. if parts were not available, you got an good explanation as to why, and it was not long until you got said part, all else was shipped. he would enclose a bill, and then you paid him when you got your order. how novel is that? the industry lost a great person with his retirement and passing.
rudd

Post by rudd »

I haven't dealt with many suppliers, but I did place an order with Steve Alley recently, who now has Allen Models. He must gotten the customer service module as well. Wrote to me to apologize for not shipping the next day as he was sick, gave me a day he would ship, and beat that estimate.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

In the past five years I have purchased parts from at least 6 supplies in Our Hobby.
All delivered as promised, and their products were as advertised.
Steve Alley (Allen Models) included.
I must be living in rarified air?
~RN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rudd wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:39 pm I haven't dealt with many suppliers, but I did place an order with Steve Alley recently, who now has Allen Models. He must gotten the customer service module as well. Wrote to me to apologize for not shipping the next day as he was sick, gave me a day he would ship, and beat that estimate.
How cool is that? Is't that what any of us would hope for?
I was in business for most of my working life. It was highly unusual for me to not meet a delivery date, but I was (and may still be) human, and prone to error, so it happened on occasion.

In any of those rare occasions, I can't think of one time when the customer didn't understand, and was forgiving. Needless to say, I renewed the delivery date (I initiated contact) and was honest about delivery. That goes a long way towards building trust with customers. What's so hard about that that some folks won't do it?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

To complete the circle, Cannonball emailed me yesterday that they were mailing the part. From what I understand from talking with them, they had the castings in stock for what I wanted (the headlight) but I asked for a custom number and I bought the assembled headlight. The total turnaround time from them was extremely quick.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Why did they not answer your initial emails?

David