Atta Boy for Eccentric Engineering Injector

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pipescs

Atta Boy for Eccentric Engineering Injector

Post by Pipescs »

Just a short note for anyone considering dealing with Eccentric Engineering.

In reworking the L.E. American I decided to add a small injector as a alternative to the hand and cross slide pumps.

As the American is small to say the least I was looking for something that did not look out of place under the cab.

My first attempt was a small injector from Blackgates in England. They are small and not very expensive.

Long story shortened. It did not work as advertised. Although it had a test certificate that said it had been tested to 100 psi, myself and two other members at Mid South could only get it to pick up between 40 and 60 psi and even then it was intermittent to say the least.

Pontiacguy convinced me to come off the pocket book and order one of the small injectors from Eccentric Engineer. Cost was $250.00 with free shipping. He offers this small injector with either quarter inch or three sixteenth connectors. He was nice enough to do a mix for me as I have quarter inch water lines in and 3/16" steam and water lines out.

It was an easy swap with just a small amount of redo on the piping. Looked appropriate for the model and works like a champ. I set it up on the stand outside the shop and pumped one and a half tender tanks of water thru it. Pressure was from 40 to my pop off at 105.
DSC_5215.jpg
DSC_5210.jpg
More importantly, from the time I place the order to my door step was two day. Later in the week I realize there are small parts I may loose when cleaning it and these also were delivered in two days.

A pleasure to do business with.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
DianneB

Re: Atta Boy for Eccentric Engineering Injector

Post by DianneB »

I installed one on my LE American a couple of months age and was REALLY impressed with how well it worked. I had a bit of a time getting it going and had to re-do the piping a couple of times (http://www.diannebest.com/Plumbing/ReFi ... rican.html) but once everything was right, the EE injector is dead-on reliable! Just make sure you blow out the plumbing with LIVE STEAM, not just compressed air - there are some tiny passages in there and they will pick up microscopic debris!
EE Injector.jpg
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

The problem with the English injectors is they are rated at 100 pounds Sterling!!!
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I imagine that the English injector would pump to 100 PSI, but they seem to be so finicky that you'd have to have almost the exact same setup, mounting position, check valve, starting valve, etc... that they used while testing it out.

I had one before, and it would work from about 50 PSI up to about 95 PSI, and no further. At 100 PSI, it would refuse to start at all. In fact, at anything over 90, it was very difficult to get to start, and I never could do that while out running. It worked best between about 60 and 80 PSI, and that sucks when your pop-off pressure is 120 PSI. I re-worked the piping about 3 times to make sure that it wasn't the problem. I then bought a SuperScale Economy to replace the English injector. I used the same piping, just adapted/bushed to the SS injector, and It worked great, except for the fact that it was really too large and I could only leave it on for about 7 or 8 seconds at a time! It would fill the 6" boiler on that Chloe really quickly and the pressure would drop by about 20 PSI.

Glad that Charlie's injector worked really great. That will be a big asset to his locomotive. I second his sentiment about dealing with Anthony at Eccentric Engineer. When I've ordered something, the service has been outstanding.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Fred_V wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:13 amThe problem with the English injectors is they are rated at 100 pounds Sterling!!!
Oh, is that what it is!

I come from a background of full-size steaming and never encountered an injector that didn't work - some of them had their "eccentricities" but they WORKED! (If they didn't, they would have been trashed decades ago.)

I built a 1/2 scale traction engine in 1995/96 and tired 2 or 3 British injectors but was never able to get any of them to do anything but blow steam (even down the pickup line!) It took a few years to find them but I finally ended up with a 1/2" and a 3/8" Pemberthy and they were totally reliable.

I never met a model injector that was anything but junk though a couple of guys in our club were pretty good at building them.

Than Anthony came along with the EE injector and I am beyond THRILLED! After sorting out the issue with microscopic debris in the lines, it has never failed to pick up and deliver the first time and every time! It has more capacity than my 1-1/2" American needs but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

...... just one old woman's opinion :wink:
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Diane,

Do you have a filter in your water line?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Pipescs wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:03 amDo you have a filter in your water line?
Yes, an automotive fuel filter designed for fuel injection - very fine mesh.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Had to come and give a huge thumbs-up to EE's injectors. My wife bought me one as a Christmas present this year (how about that?!). Installed it last week and ran yesterday and it worked the first and every time without any issues at all. So glad we have a source of reliable, well built injectors again!
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

I'd also like to add my thumbs-up to EE's injectors for fast service and an excellent product. I installed one of the small injectors on my Disney 4-4-0 last Spring and it operated flawlessly through out the Summer. I had previously used a Super Scale economy injector. It also worked well but was over capacity for my boiler. The pressure gauge went down a little faster than the water went in. With the EE injector I can maintain steam pressure as the water goes in and as the loco in moving.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could add something to the tender water to clean the cones as the injector was operating.

Dave
Attachments
DSC01985.JPG
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

I will again give kudos to Anthony. I had an English style injector when I started and it wouldn't pick up unless the pressure was ABOVE 85psi. I worked fine up to popping pressure of 125, but below 80psi was a non-starter. Biggest issue was getting it to pickup. you had to tune on the water full, then throttle the steam until the overflow looked just right and then cut back the water until it started to pickup and then slam the water back open full. What a finicky pain to do while running! I swapped to the EE injector and I turn on the water, turn on the steam and put water in the boiler! If I turn off the water and start spewing steam, I just turn the water back on and it picks right back up. It is a marvelous device and works excellent. So glad to have a supplier who makes and delivers what is promised. Quickly and easy to deal with!
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Maybe this is the miracle for which we've prayed?

E.E. have a website? Contact. Oh yeah, "Google it."
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Thank you all for the kind words. And it's always fun to see pictures of customers' installations!

PRR5406, my website is www.EccentricEngineer.com

Anthony