Tracks to the Trenchs World War 1 Commenmoration

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Tracks to the Trenchs World War 1 Commenmoration

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here is a fantastic video- and reenactment of UK and U.S. steam locomotive involvement in WW1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5iZoyEX4s8

I just sort of came across this when browsing for ideas regarding building a WW1 trench locomotive. Apparently the Allied Powers assembled 10,000 60 CM gauge (1' 11 5/8" ga ) locomotives and laid over 3000 miles of track between 1914 and 1918, to transport men and material to the trenches, and bring the wounded back from the front lines for treatment and recuperation. The trench railway system moved upwards of 1,000,000 artillery shells PER MONTH to the forward batteries at the height of the conflict. And most of this rail infrastructure was taken apart and scrapped immediately after armistice.

We are just coming up on the 100 year anniversary of The Great War, so I wonder if anyone is planning to build or model of any of the WW1 locomotives? I would like to do so and would love to collaborate with others who may also be interested. Also would like to ask if anyone has available drawings, photos, or research they could share, regarding building some of these engines or rolling stock? I am thinking this could be a way to pay homage to the sacrifice and great achievements these solders put into this important aspect of the war effort.

Also, I wonder if the next tri annual at TM (2018) might be an opportunity time to theme put and organize a trench railway meet?

Thanks much,
Glenn Brooks
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Re: Tracks to the Trenchs World War 1 Commenmoration

Post by NP317 »

Wow! That shows a stunning collection of war-time equipment, steam and otherwise, presented in a meaningful environment.
Thanks for sharing, Glenn!
~Russ
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Don Young wrote a construction series on Mountaineer that was based on an Alco 2-6-2T trench engine. It was in 1 3/4" scale/ 3 1/2" gauge and appeared in MODEL ENGINEER.
marshall5

Post by marshall5 »

I can thoroughly recommend Roy Link's recent book "WDLR Album" which features a wide variety of contemporary photos of the narrow gauge railways and equipment used behind the lines in WW1. The photos are supplemented by Roy's excellent drawings of all the various locos and rolling stock used by the British forces.
In addition to Don Young's 'Mountaineer' castings and drawings are also available for 'Spencer', a 3 1/2" g. model of the Hunslet 4-6-0T's also used by the British. The Apedale Railway shown in the video has a wide variety of ex WW1 equipment. Further information on the WDLR can be found here http://wdlr.org.uk/
Cheers,
Ray.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Maybe 10 year ago in Live Steam there was an article about building a trench engine in 3 3/4" scale. Very nicely done as I remember it.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
marshall5

Post by marshall5 »

RMI do a 3 3/4" scale Baldwin 50HP gas/mechanical loco, electric or gas powered. There was one for sale (maybe in WA) on DLS a year or so back.
Ray.
pwcphoto

Post by pwcphoto »

This is RMI's product although they have not built one for a while.

http://www.rmirailworks.com/ww1_trench_train.asp

Phil
"I used to be a rocket scientist, now i am just a space cadet"

RMI 3.75" scale Prairie 2-6-2 under construction.
View Progress
http://www.southerncalifornialivesteamers.com/Forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18&SID=336957b14adb9765a37dez9785dz6cz7&title=steam-locomotive-construction
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks guys, I've contacted RMI and they have some parts and working drawings of their Baldwin 50 hp tractor engine for sale. Also purchased a couple of books- Narrow Guage to the Trenchs" and the "WDLR Album" for reference. They haven't arrived yet- one is coming from UK, but are supposed to be well illustrated with drawings etc.

I've also discovered some regimental history's of the 14th and 21st Engineer Regiments(AEF) on line which make spellbinding reading as they are mostly first hand accounts of the engineer and labor battalions that operated and repaired the railways immediatey behind the front line. The 14th engineers was recruited from railroad men in New England, and the 21 st from California, Oregon, and Washington.

The trench railway system was 600mm, or about 23 5/8" inches. So 3" scale works out pretty well for 71/2" gauge track. At that scale a Hunslet or Baldwin 4-6-0T would be 32-36" to top of stack, so fairly good size. I Suppose one could go 2 1/2" scale just as easily as there are more parts suppliers in the size.

My locomotive is 12" gauge so I am thinking of building rolling stock at 6" scale to make up a train consist with my 1902 4-4-0, and adding a Baldwin tractor engine for authenticity. This fit retry well the 12" gauge track I am putting together. But, wouldn't mind working in 7 1/2" gauge if there are others out there that are interested in building up enough equipment to get together for a national 100 year commemorative trench railroad meet say in 2017 or 2018.

Anybody interested, please let me know by PM and we could talk about possibilities.

Thanks
Glenn Brooks
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

I’m having a tough time getting the right search words. Any good examples of scale trench locomotives? I’m going to be at Fort Benning next week, and it just so happens they have a Baldwin 10-12 on display. Cute little engines; I’m planning on taking some detail pictures.
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn B:
About 25 years ago I was introduced to a Woodinville (?) resident who wanted my input on building a 2" gauge railroad on his way-too-steep property, for the Baldwin trench 2-6-2 steam locomotive he had! I saw it, and was amazed. He stored it in a large metal building he had built, complete with an emergency diesel generator electrical system installed next to it. He seemed to have money to spend. I chose not to be involved then.

I have no idea what became of that locomotive, but it was in your region back then. Hidden away in its building...
RussN
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

It’s a Davenport, not a Baldwin. Sister to the loco brought back from the dead in California.

https://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,413619

Steve

https://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/file.ph ... 846CD.jpeg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Great info and news! That is definitely the layout of the locomotive I saw.

I did not watch the entire video to learn if the locomotive's history is provided.
I am interested to know how/when it moved from Washington State to California.
Any written info available? Hidden in those postings that I can't get into?
RussN