Machining a Globe Valve - PM Research kit

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill C

Machining a Globe Valve - PM Research kit

Post by Bill C »

Now that we've solved the mystery of the 180 degree drill point (see other thread by that name), I thought it would be good to start a new thread showing the machining of the valve. I've posted two videos to my YouTube channel, the most recent is only two minutes long and it shows the finished jig. I'll post updates as time permits. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Here's a link to the video:

http://youtu.be/63FNuddqkzM

Cheers,

Bill C.
shayloco

Re: Machining a Globe Valve - PM Research kit

Post by shayloco »

Bill-

There was an article in Live Steam magazine May/June 2004 titled "Machine Your Own Model Pipe Fittings" that shows how to make adapters to fit in a chuck or a collet. I made a set of these and they work well. I used 1" round aluminum so they will fit in a 5C collet and run true.

Interesting topic, post updates as you progress.

-Larry
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Slick fixture there Bill. The real tricky part now will be drilling the ports to get one over and one under the valve seat.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Larry, thanks for your email. I did see that and other articles about fittings. Couldn't find one on valve making, so I thought I'd share my learning experiences.

Fred, thanks, you are exactly right about the tricky part! In fact, the fixture worked fine but the operator (me) got a little over enthusiastic when drilling and make scrap out of a perfectly good valve body. At least I'm learning! Will try again tonight and continue to document my failures and successes.

All - here's a link to the video I shot last night (before I realized my error). Will do a new video once I make a good valve body. That way I can show my solution (careful attention to drilling depth) so I don't auger through the innards.

https://youtu.be/RPujXbBP4bk

Happy Machining,

Bill C.
Last edited by Bill C on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Bill C wrote:In fact, the fixture worked fine but the operator (me) got a little over enthusiastic with a pipe tap and make scrap out of a perfectly good valve body. At least I'm learning! Will try again tonight and continue to document my failures and successes.
As opposed to garbage, (I am assuming that the valve body is brass.) can you fill the mistake is brass stock and silver solder it in, or, use a brazing rod to fill it up and remachine it?
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Hi 'Red'

Sure thing, it could be repaired if absolutely necessary. The goof I made was to poke a hole through a flat surface that should serve as one of the chambers to be sealed off in the body of the globe. A tight spot, had to use an eye loupe to see my error.

I was raised by parents who were born during the Depression, so I won't waste anything. I will save this one and make good use of it. Already thought of it as a possible fancy-shaped T fitting or a donor for three thin brass nuts (if I cut off the hexes).

Thanks for your suggestion,

Bill C.
Last edited by Bill C on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkepler

Post by rkepler »

shayloco wrote:There was an article in Live Steam magazine May/June 2004 titled "Machine Your Own Model Pipe Fittings" that shows how to make adapters to fit in a chuck or a collet. I made a set of these and they work well. I used 1" round aluminum so they will fit in a 5C collet and run true.
Pretty sure that this is about what you ended up with:

With this sort of fixture you can turn out one completed tee in a few minutes, an elbow in a little less.
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Here is a link to a short video explaining the drilling error I mentioned earlier.

http://youtu.be/9EKl9yQ7fZg

I bought two sets (8 blanks) so I still have 7 castings to work on. Tonight I removed the first valve body, brushed out the fixture, cut a blank off of the casting tree, belt sanded the edges clean and popped the new blank into the fixture. It fit just right and is now sitting in the mill vice waiting for the next milling session (tomorrow I hope)!

Will keep you posted,

Bill C.
piedmontg

Post by piedmontg »

Bill

Thanks for posting this I have several of their kits so I am very interested in your process. When you get a chance could you post the pictures from PMR.

Thanks

Bob
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Got a good globe valve body done last night, here's a short video showing the finished product:

http://youtu.be/nQV-unMs0kI

Will make a few more, then move over to the lathe for the other parts.

Bob, yes I will post the photos from PM as soon as I can (hopefully tonight).

Bill C.
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Hi All,

Bob requested I upload the photos that PM Research sent me showing some jigs for making valves, so they are attached to this post. The description was brief and mentioned 60 degree angles milled to support the flanges of the valve body.

I'll machine up some more valve bodies this weekend and post an update later. It will be fun to move to the lathe and make some of the other parts of these valves!

Hope you are enjoying the descriptions, please let me know if there are questions or if there is anything you'd like me to cover.

Bill C.
Attachments
PM photo 1.JPG
IMG_3909.JPG
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Howdy,

I got two straight valve bodies machined today and posted a 3 minute video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/2pNCJjornCA

The video shows the finished valves and mentions a few tips that I hope will be helpful. Next up are the lathe projects, spindle, bonnet, packing nut, handle and handle nut.

I'm trying to keep the videos short and to the point, just mentioning things that might be a challenge. Please let me know if you would like more detail or if these are about right.

Thanks,

Bill C.