Machining a Globe Valve - PM Research kit

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill C

Re: Machining a Globe Valve - PM Research kit

Post by Bill C »

Hi All,

I posted a follow up video last night:

http://youtu.be/Bs_AVmrkn78

It is about three and a half minutes long and shows a simple test with air. More importantly, it shows some additional tips regarding the spindle and about using a reamer to get a round hole for the spindle to make a good seal with. Many thanks to Fred V. for helping me do some basic tests with air and realizing my first spindle attempts were not making a good seal. I ended up making several new spindles and it was worth the effort.

Also, I show how much I had to grind down a 1/16" NPT tap so it would create a sufficient opening for the standard 1/16" pipe fittings. I had heard this written and spoken about, so here is a visual comparison between a standard, a short projection, and a ground-down tap.

I hope you find this useful. For those of you wanting videos on making the fittings, Mrpete222 also known as 'tubalcain' on YouTube has published two nice videos on the topic recently. He is a very knowledgeable retired shop teacher, and he actually shows the machining steps. In the videos he thanks our own Dave S. for sending him a nice model pipe tap and die set. Way to go Dave!

Best Regards,

Bill C.
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Hi everyone,

One of my valve spindles would not make a good seal, so I tried a couple of different designs. Got a good seal and posted a short video showing the idea. Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/SYVGKDoRkCM

Hope this helps others, please let me know if you have questions.

Bill C.
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Resurrecting an old thread...
Asking anyone who has built a kit: Awhile back I picked up a 1/4 inch globe valve kit from PM Research and dug it out the other day as a diversion.
In both the straight and angle 1/4" valve bodies there is an internal groove .109 wide and .250 in diameter. If it were deeper it would look like an internal o-ring groove but it's not.
Machining the groove wasn't an issue, I ground a quick internal groove tool and the bronze cut like butter.
My question is- What's it for? As near as I can tell it's to open up the steam or water passage but I really don't know.
Thanks much,
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

I didn't put the groove in on my 3/16" versions... I couldn't determine why it was there either.
-Frank K.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

makes you appreciate paying $15 more for the machined version...
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

No kidding!!! But at least I can say I've done it.
-Frank K.
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

I'm waiting on a 10-40 tap for the packing nuts but I've found both the straight and angle valves kinda fun to machine. The internal groove has to be for increased steam passage area, it doesn't seem to relate to anything else. The grooves weren't hard to cut but did take a bit of focus, no daydreaming when hitting the go button.
Denny
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Final note on the grooves. I see it now, cutting the internal groove easily doubles the size of the port formed where two of the flat bottom holes intersect. Nuff said.
Denny