16 inch gauge switcher on ebay

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
dnevil

16 inch gauge switcher on ebay

Post by dnevil »

There is a nice little 16 inch gauge gas-powered switcher up for auction on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254011147803

Regards,
Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
Pontiacguy1

Re: 16 inch gauge switcher on ebay

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Did you see that 9" gauge 4-4-0 for sale? Looks like whoever built it had access to a bronze foundry because the wheels, cylinders, rods, etc... are all bronze castings.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

How does one ask questions to the ebay seller regarding the 16 inch gauge switcher? My question is: Is it possible to regauge to 18 inches? The underneathe photos do not show enough detail.

Chris Smith
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Chris,

On the right side of the Ebay page is Seller Information. You will see where it says Contact Seller....click on that, then you will see Select a Topic....click Other and ask your questions

Nyle
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Didn’t look real closely at the underneath pictures, but usually going up in gauge, you could move the wheels from the inside of the frame to the outside of the frame. Otherwise, you have to alter the width of the frame.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
JR May

Post by JR May »

I had looked at this little locomotive some years back when it up for sale by a local antique shop. Its unusual. Its quite small actually for its gauge, but the kicker is the tiny wheels and sharp edged square flanges. The wheels pass through openings in the body under the motor so regauging to 15” gauge, which is what I was looking for, I felt would be tough. I researched the motor and found some issues there as well so I walked away from it as I did not want yet another project in the garage. I probably should have picked it up as the price was reasonable, like $1500. It just seemed to lack something in my eye. For the right price, its probably a nice start on a little 16” gauge critter.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi J.R.,

Did you ever discover who built the loco?

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
JR May

Post by JR May »

Glenn:
No idea who built it. No indications on it.
J.R.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Nay , nay. Its a cobble job and not a good base for improvement. It looks like a ten year old designed it. In my critical eye it would be way tooo much work to tear it down and improve what would be a minimum for my eye. I have seen some ugly and cute contraptions, and this thing is ugly.

It is my opinion taht any kid that can build a bicycle can make a go cart, and therefor a 4 wheel shifter/switcher/hand car. Having a lathe is not needed, it can be farmed out. The rest is a system of bearing blocks axles and drive details to get the movement. It can be pretty rough and still make the rails sing. A steamer, is another class for fit and finish or it wont work. Just that simple.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.