Monitor for Acad

Related to all sorts of CAD and CAM tools. Users should post questions, comments, and recommendations with respect to their favorite CAD and CAM tools.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Monitor for Acad

Post by Mr Ron »

Can I connect a 32" TV to a desktop computer to use as a monitor?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Steggy

Re: Monitor for Acad

Post by Steggy »

Mr Ron wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:08 pmCan I connect a 32" TV to a desktop computer to use as a monitor?
If the TV has a VGA or HDMI input you can. If not, an adapter would be required to generate signals that are compatible with the TV's inputs.

Either way, you probably will be underwhelmed with the results. Just as a toilet bowl is a lousy substitute for a drinking fountain, a TV is a poor substitute for a quality computer monitor. The latter is optimized for the high-resolution output of a modern computer's video circuits, which is not usually the case with a TV.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have 4 of them connected to my desktop using hdmi, display ports and dvi cables and converters.

The tvs do 1900 x 1400 resolution

In reality -> today's tvs are just a computer monitor without all the connections on the back.

Yes ACAD will run them as long as your computer will talk to them.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thanks for your information. I've been looking for a monitor larger than my 21" monitor, buy can't seem to find one.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Are you talking about a flat screen Monitor?
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Mr Ron wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:33 pm Thanks for your information. I've been looking for a monitor larger than my 21" monitor, buy can't seem to find one.
Last time I checked Viewsonic makes them up to 34 inches diagonal.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Any computer or TV screen can be used. 34" to 80" autocad does not care
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:00 pm Any computer or TV screen can be used. 34" to 80" autocad does not care
People still use AutoCad??? :shock:
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:08 am
Bill Shields wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:00 pm Any computer or TV screen can be used. 34" to 80" autocad does not care
I sure hope so! I was gifted ACAD 14, along with the manuals and code. I have yet to install it, but I'm hoping it functions. I have a little experience with ACAD 10, so I'm slightly familiar with the functions. None of it is very intuitive for me, so I'd like to avoid a huge learning curve by trying anything else. I welcome your comments in that regard.

I should note that I am not all that interested in three axis modeling. My primary interest is in generating prints for machining. That's how my head works (such as it is, anyway).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have acad 14 and fusion all running on the same computer.
Jon W

Post by Jon W »

I’ve worked daily with the progression of Autocad versions since the ‘90s. If you have some familiarity with Autocad 10, you’ll get comfortable with 14 in short order. Don’t get discouraged if everything looks different on the screen when you first open it up - Autodesk has a nasty habit of “improving” the graphical interface every few years. Stick with it, the underlying framework and commands tend to remain fairly consistent. Also - get yourself a mouse with a wheel center button and configure it to pan/scroll/zoom.
Jon W
Somewhere North of Boston
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:39 am
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:08 am
I sure hope so! I was gifted ACAD 14, along with the manuals and code. I have yet to install it, but I'm hoping it functions. I have a little experience with ACAD 10, so I'm slightly familiar with the functions. None of it is very intuitive for me, so I'd like to avoid a huge learning curve by trying anything else. I welcome your comments in that regard.

I should note that I am not all that interested in three axis modeling. My primary interest is in generating prints for machining. That's how my head works (such as it is, anyway).

H
I too have no interest in three-axis drafting, and use an inexpensive 2-D CAD package called DeltaCad—my entire F7 was designed in DeltaCad.

I have never liked Autocad and as it progressed from MS-DOS to Windows 3, 95, 98, etc., it became infested with creeping featurism, making it cumbersome and less intuitive, to me at least. I have several clients who do a lot of mechanical drafting in their business (one such client designs and builds tooling for the canning industry—their progressive dies are works of art), and none uses Autocad.