Sheet metal project in Fusion 360

Related to all sorts of CAD and CAM tools. Users should post questions, comments, and recommendations with respect to their favorite CAD and CAM tools.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kc6uvm

Sheet metal project in Fusion 360

Post by kc6uvm »

I downloaded and installed Fusion 360 on my Win 10 laptop a while back but haven't put it to work until recently. In the interim, found a book published by Make: Fusion 360 for Makers by Lydia Sloan Cline and bought it on Amazon. Over a decade ago, I completed classes in AutoCAD at a local community college. I think it was version 2007 and 2008.

Now I' m designing the hood and cab for a Plymouth diesel. It's a battery electric engine. The little beast is four foot long and about twenty inches wide. When I'm done, I think I can fit the whole project in my little 2017 Jeep Compass. I lost my dodge in an auto accident last year.

Fusion 360 has been a beast to learn. Even had to break out this book and read....

In my first attempt, I moved in and out of the create mode, did extrusions to create the windows and other openings. But to fix the mistakes, I figured it would be faster to start over. Then there was this aha moment! After my first attempt to create 2D sheet metal layout in 3D software, I arrived at the conclusion I needed to start in the "Create" mode and stay in that mode until the hood and cab were done.

So now, the sheet metal layout is staying in the top view and a wire frame model. I figured out how to extrude the body panels and leave the openings for the windows. I understand there may be a plug in for Fusion to export the file to g-code. Just don't know the machine yet. I'm almost ready to export the model to CAM software to be run on a waterjet. Haven''t found some to do the job.

I did draw four doors in the create mode but the doors disappear when leaving the create mode. I want to use the waterjet to etch the doors in the sheet metal. In older versions of AutoCAD, I had the ability to bring a line/plane forward or back as a priority. High lighting the doors in the create mode brings the doors out to the top when leaving the create mode.

This is point where I'm lost at what to do next. Any one have any ideas? Thank you in advance for your response.

Below is the screen capture of where I'm at this time.
plymouth cab revised 1 v5.jpg
George J. Becker
Lancaster, CA (formerly of Shandon, CA)
Model railroading is fun but the work expands proportionately to the track gauge.
SteveR

Re: Sheet metal project in Fusion 360

Post by SteveR »

George, If you are going to have someone waterjet it, ask them what file format they want - you may not need to convert the file to g-code yourself. I would think you just need to sketch it in 2D, then extrude the thickness and then export the whole thing in a dxf format (again it depends on what the WJ shop wants.). If you are not bending sheet metal, I would stay out of that mode. Youtube is your friend. Good luck.
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

George,

I've read your post numerous times and really don't quite understand what it is you are doing, but it appears that you have way over complicated a simple task.

Any water jet work I have had done just needed a 2D top view .dxf file emailed to them.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Same .dxf files work for laser cutting metals, too.
And Laser might be less expensive than water jet, based on my own experience with a 4' x 4' water jet system in my University shop.
Russ
kc6uvm

Post by kc6uvm »

Thanks for the information. I think my post might of had TMI. Fusion 360 was a free down load. I was doing 2D work in 3D software.

My training on AutoCAD was over a decade ago but got rusty since I haven't' been using my CAD skills. Tried other CAD shareware but it was confusing. A 2D CAD program would be best for sheet metal layout.

I found a couple shops in my area that have waterjets but haven't had time to call. I'm trying to do the best possible means to keep costs down. One of there people will tell me what they need at the time. The shop will have to rearrange the parts for layout to minimize waste during the cutting.

There is one other individual at LALS who told me he is expecting a waterjet for his business in the next month or so. I may be his first guinea pig....
George J. Becker
Model railroading is fun but the work expands proportionately to the track gauge.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

a caution about Fusion...

if you are making a DXF file to give to someone do drive a CNC machine - give them a drawing with dimensions along with the DXF file.

I went through this a month or so ago, and even though I created the Fusion file in inches, and created an inch drawing - the DXF file created by Fusion came out METRIC.

The clue was when the guy running the machine called me and asked about the 25.4 scale factor he had to use to get the parts the same size as the drawing dimensions.

I fired up my AutoCAD and imported the FUSION DXF drawing and LO AND BEHOLD...the units were wrong in the DXF.

After doing some digging...it is (was) a known Fusion Problem (may be fixed by now)..

Moral of the story...don't Assume anything is as advertised.

Note: quite a few of the solid modelling software packages work Metric in 'native mode' and convert to 'inches' for us North American Idiots...so this problem is not surprising.

I even worked with a well known CNC machine company a few years ago that was again 'metric' in native mode and managed to work OK in Inches until they also applied the 25.4 multiplier to angles / degrees... :shock: ...at which time we started getting very odd appearing parts.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
kc6uvm

Post by kc6uvm »

You've got no disagreement from me Bill.

Below is what is my latest screen shot in Fusion looks like:
plymouth cab revised v13.jpg

It looks clean in Fusion, but when I exported the fusion file to a dwg file to be viewed in AutoCAD mobile, there are a few extra "artifacts" that will have to be cleaned up....

Fusion has some other issues :!: that I'm still learning to overcome....
George J. Becker
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

try exporting the fusion direct to DXF and open it....see what you get...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.