Solidworks question

Related to all sorts of CAD and CAM tools. Users should post questions, comments, and recommendations with respect to their favorite CAD and CAM tools.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JohnHudak

Solidworks question

Post by JohnHudak »

Hi all, I'm learning solidworks 2007 and have a quick question..
Every time I turn it on, I have to go into the "units" tab, and change the decimal places from two to three.. I'm pressing the "OK" button, but when I turn it off then on, I have to change it again.. Am I not doing something right?
Related question... If I leave it alone (2 places) when I use the smart dimension tool, it rounds it up or down to two places.. If I want a .188 long line, it dimensions it as .190.. Is my line .188 or .190?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to this 3d cad stuff...
Thanks.
Steggy

Re: Solidworks question

Post by Steggy »

JohnHudak wrote:Hi all, I'm learning solidworks 2007 and have a quick question..
Every time I turn it on, I have to go into the "units" tab, and change the decimal places from two to three.. I'm pressing the "OK" button, but when I turn it off then on, I have to change it again.. Am I not doing something right?
I'm not a Solidworks user but do know it has configurable defaults that, among other things, allow you to set the default number of decimal places in measuring units.  This is a program with which reading the help screens is real important to getting the best out of it.
Related question... If I leave it alone (2 places) when I use the smart dimension tool, it rounds it up or down to two places.. If I want a .188 long line, it dimensions it as .190.. Is my line .188 or .190?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to this 3d cad stuff...
Thanks.
Almost all CAD programs internally represent dimensions to a relatively large number of places. The rounding comes when the dimension is displayed in the drawing. The (2D) CAD I use, DeltaCad, internally represents dimensions to six places, regardless of the number of places being displayed on the drawing. You can also display dimensions in feet and inches, meters, etc. In each case, the internal dimension doesn't change, just how it appears on your drawing.

You need to read the documentation for Solidworks so you fully understand how it operates.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I don't know about 2007, but from 2012 to now, the setting is under "options". Use the left tab, the "Document Properties" tab will only effect
that drawing.

Jim B
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

rrnut-2 wrote:I don't know about 2007, but from 2012 to now, the setting is under "options". Use the left tab, the "Document Properties" tab will only effect
that drawing.

Jim B

Thanks Jim, It looks like it's something I have to change every time I run it then...
John
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

JohnHudak wrote:
rrnut-2 wrote:I don't know about 2007, but from 2012 to now, the setting is under "options". Use the left tab, the "Document Properties" tab will only effect
that drawing.

Jim B

Thanks Jim, It looks like it's something I have to change every time I run it then...
John
There should be a configuration function that allows you to "globally" set the default dimension precision.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Set it under options....then save the document as a template and forget it.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Bill Shields wrote:Set it under options....then save the document as a template and forget it.
Thanks Bill, that worked...!
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Mr. Shields is right. You should open up a new SW model, set all the parameters in the options settings and then save the model as a template which will have the extension [prtdot] as in PART_3PLC.PRTDOT You can name it anything, but I prefer to let myself know that that template will have 3 plc decimals.(it could be 2 or 6 or none or metric.)
You will also need to go to the system options and set the paths to the files and Default templates. It takes a while to set up the model and the drawing templates, but when you have them the way you want, it makes SW so much easier to use.
I'd look in the upper right hand corner of the model and pull open the SW resources tab. In it you will find the Tutorials, and it will help immensely if you got through them.
SW resources.png
SW resources.png (69.3 KiB) Viewed 20783 times
There is a lot of help on the Dassault website, too.
Incidentally, if you do not own the SW (and even if you do) it may time out after 10 years, ie, this year if you are using 2007. You may have to lie to your computer and reset the date/year function to keep it running. You may also have to disconnect from the internet.
A new bare bones version is $3990. I checked. If you are a veteran, then it is far cheaper, and you need to contact your reseller.
Good luck.
--earlgo
(been using SW since 2002, professionally for 11 years)
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

they are fighting Fusion.....
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Please expand on your remark. I am lost.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

I think he means that Fusion 360 is their (Solidworks) main competition...?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

basically....

for the casual user, there is little that Fusion 360 doesn't offer...

although my opinion may be a little biased