New Project-Little Engines New Northern

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

James A

New Project-Little Engines New Northern

Post by James A »

While my Goose is just about complete I will be building a riding car for it. But in the meantime I will also be starting a large project. This is a pic of a few of the items I've received over the past couple of weeks. I do have all drive wheels, journal boxes and covers and frame parts. LE 4-8-4 Northern. I got the side frames from Clarke Simm ( i know, i've read it all but he came through with no problems) and the rest from Mike Venezia/Highiron. Mike has been fantastic to work with.

Last edited by James A on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred_V

Re: New Project

Post by Fred_V »

Is that going to be one of those mono-rail engines? You will need another wheel. LOL
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Looks like an interesting project. Might I suggest you change the title of the thread to reflect what the project is?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
James A

Post by James A »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Looks like an interesting project. Might I suggest you change the title of the thread to reflect what the project is?

Hard to argue with a good suggestion. Thanks!
Dick_Morris

Re: New Project-Little Engines New Northern

Post by Dick_Morris »

Your might also ask Harold to move it to the Build Log area since it sounds like you are going to start a log.

Done!

Harold
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

You are jumping from a Goose to a LE Northern? That isn't a jump... it is a leap of faith! I am excited for you and will keep checking this thread for updates. Good luck! :)
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
James A

Post by James A »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:You are jumping from a Goose to a LE Northern? That isn't a jump... it is a leap of faith! I am excited for you and will keep checking this thread for updates. Good luck! :)

Thanks, I know it's a giant leap and it will be slow going but I'll get it done. One way or another lol. I wasn't planning on a "build log" but here we are so here we go. I suspect this thread will get buried before long, for awhile. I'll post smome pics of the frame when I have gotten a fair amount of it completed.
James A

Post by James A »

Well, let's bring this baby back to the top lol. Got some milling and holes drilled a couple of weeks ago and today some more holes drilled and tapped. At the same time my friend is building a Clishay.

James A

Post by James A »

Been slow going due to summer but things should be picking up now. I had Andy Pullen do my Drivers, axles and journal boxes to speed things up some. Today I did some clean up on the Spring Equalizer Bearings. All 3 are ready to notch, drill/tapp and cut slots.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

James A wrote:Been slow going due to summer but things should be picking up now. I had Andy Pullen do my Drivers, axles and journal boxes to speed things up some. Today I did some clean up on the Spring Equalizer Bearings. All 3 are ready to notch, drill/tapp and cut slots.
Drivers and axles are all boxed up. Just gotta get to the post orifice.

The small lathe has a job of mine in it at the moment....When the journal boxes arrive, I'll pull that job and run them.

Attached is a pic of the wheels in process. That was taken a couple of weeks ago.

Andy
Attachments
Alkire drivers.jpg
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
James A

Post by James A »

Hey Andy, thanks for posting this.
James A

Post by James A »

Got my mill up and running and started my first project with it. Started work on the pedestal binders. Got all 8 cut and milled to length. Next is to drill mounting holes. Also received the drivers and journal boxes back from Andy Pullen.