Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Pipescs »

I realize I will end up doing another mock-up with hardboard prior to cutting wood. (expensive wood) Just to make sure I will be able to run it comfortably
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Well we are on Day 8 of the COVID-19 Fiasco. We should all be thru with the quarintine by Thursday. I had one really rough night where my lovely bride hovered over me with meds and water. Really don't recommend you try this without the Vaccine.

I am good for one hour spells in the shop with a one hour nap between spurts. Really feel drained quickly.

Yesterday I worked on a firebox door but immediately did not like it. It is too small in diameter. I will remind everyone I am working from photos on a TLAR aspect. As it does make the front of the firebox airtight, I will keep it in place until after the steam test.
IMG_3122.JPG

What I am looking for in proportion .

IMG_3116.JPG
What I ended up with.

IMG_3123.JPG

Today I felt good enough to work on the exhaust pipe. Made a few last min changes but nothing that I cannot change later if it does not work. Next is the blower ring and then running the pipping back thru the dry stay to the turret.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Charlie,
I am truly sorry about your sister.

Being adopted, in the last few years I found I had five sisters. One died near birth, one died in the 1990’s, one died in 2018 shortly after I started really looking for family, one that wants no contact with family, and one whom I’ve met who is now estranged for several reasons.

Your loss is incalculable.

All politics aside. I am very sorry.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Pipescs wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:30 pm

Yesterday I worked on a firebox door but immediately did not like it. It is too small in diameter.
I realize that I am being nit picky , but that is the smoke box……the fire box is at the other end of the locomotive. :)

Keith
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Well, I guess that is not being too nit Picky. Lets blame it on the drugs this week.

I did work on the Ash pan door openings and hope to se the doors and hinges this week.

I also welded a 1/2 inch coupler to the 3/4 inch NPT exhaust pipe. Plan is to use brass inserts for the nozzle. I need to machine out the blower ring.

Still dragging though. For a person who is usually up by 6:00 everyday, I am finding myself still in bed past 8:00.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Charlie:
So sorry to hear of your Family Covid-19 struggles. Definitely a virus to avoid.
Please get vaccinated anyway, as this is proving to help eliminate some long term problems and reinfections.

I'd hate to hear bad news about anyone on this discussion board.
I've already lost some railroading friends to Covid-19.
RussN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I definitely give credit to the vaccine on my getting thru this. It started with a runny nose quickly picking up a cough. By four PM my wife had a home test stuck up my nose and I had a positive in less than a min.

But all is getting better. Worked today on the Blower Ring attachment in the Smoke Box (The one up front this time)

I turned a ring from scrap and then used a groove tool to make a air passage around it. I then turned off a top washer and silver soldered it all together. (Not low temp) the steam line to it is to be 1/4 copper tubing. The piece in the photo is just for fit up.
DSC_6110.jpg
DSC_6115.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I should mention the stack is adjustable up and down to work out the best draft
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Once again working on things I know nothing about. Wonderful hobby, in that it takes you places you have never been.

Went to the MSLS meet and sat in the shade talking with friends. Made it half the day and my battery ran down. But a great day all the same.

Continuing to order the piping parts I need.

Stopped tonight at this point.
DSC_6188.jpg
I am waiting on the piping parts to tie one of the injectors that I need. A friend is loaning me a second one until I can get another one from EE. I imagine I will order two at that point so that I can have a spare later.

Once this is tied up, I will put a fire in the boiler, the off to the track when any bugs I find are worked out.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

have brakes and cylinder cocks setup?

looks great!
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The brakes are an issue that was caused when I turned it into a equalized frame with a trailing truck. I have machined most of the parts for the trailing truck brakes. These are directly under the operator. Right now I am thinking of activating these with a lever in the cab.

The brakes for the drivers will be a little fancy to hook up with a steam cylinder

I was actually studying brakes on a similar engine this weekend at MSLS.

The boiler will be coming back off after the steam test, so this will be a good time to work out all the undersides and paint it all.

When laying out the boiler I did it in a way that three bolts can be pulled and the entire boiler, smokebox and saddle all come off together. Well of course there will be some new piping to undo also

The parts for the cylinder cocks, snifter valves and oil inlet check valves are on order with Blackgates Engineering in England. Current plan is to use the same linkage concept I did on my American.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Looking good.

Caution on the boiler pressure gauge mount:
It should be plumbed directly to the boiler and not through the steam distribution head.
Standard practice.
And I'm not sure exactly where it is connected. Hidden.
RussN