Building the 2.5" Scale Shay

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Soot n' Cinders

Re: Building the 2.5" Scale Shay

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:01 am Tristan, Iam researching a different gauge track and wheel set for drives and rolling stock.

Curious what size diameter drives you are using for your 2.5” scale Shay?

Thanks
Glenn
Glenn. The drivers on the shay are 6.125in in diameter
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks much, Tristan!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Soot n' Cinders

Been a while since I've updated this... Not much happening on the shay, been busy with a new job. The latest was expanding the tank on the American Models lubricator, added 1in to one side which increased the capacity by almost 50% so I don't have to worry about running the tank dry as much anymore. The stock size was just barely enough to cover 2 2mi round trips on my home track, so I would run the pumps dry if I did any switching or slipped on wet rail.
-Tristan

Projects

Bill Hanks

Post by Bill Hanks »

I have a mechanical lubricator for the Shay I am building, which is intended for cylinder lubrication. But recently, having completed making the connecting rods, reliable lubrication of the big-ends concerns me. Any scale size oilers on the con-rods won't have much capacity. I'm also concerned about lubrication of the crankshaft main bearings as well. I have contemplated using the mechanical lubricator for the crankshaft bearings and installing a displacement lubricator for the cylinder.
What are others doing?
Bill.
Soot n' Cinders

Bill Hanks wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:22 am I have a mechanical lubricator for the Shay I am building, which is intended for cylinder lubrication. But recently, having completed making the connecting rods, reliable lubrication of the big-ends concerns me. Any scale size oilers on the con-rods won't have much capacity. I'm also concerned about lubrication of the crankshaft main bearings as well. I have contemplated using the mechanical lubricator for the crankshaft bearings and installing a displacement lubricator for the cylinder.
What are others doing?
Bill.
I use moly grease on the connecting rods, both wrists pins and big rod ends. It seems to hang around much better than oil and I have not noticed any wear in the bearings.
As for the carrier bearings, I machined extra large oil wells on top of the upper half of the bearings. They are fed by miniature drip oilers, though they over feed so are mostly for show..
-Tristan

Projects

Bill Hanks

Post by Bill Hanks »

G'day Tristan, sorry for taking so long to reply. I have contemplated grease lubrication of the connecting rods. Confirmation that you are using grease, has been good. What you have done with the carrier bearings is precisely what I plan to do. At my current rate of progress my Shay should be running on air by Christmas, this year. Thank again.