10 USRA Mikados

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

hwboivin3

Re: 10 USRA Mikados

Post by hwboivin3 »

I'm using Dave's pilot beams, smoke box covers and brake cylinders. All of them are very nice.

Railroad supply has drivers, cylinders, trailing trucks, eq fulcrums, cradle sets, headlight brackets and some suspension pcs. I think they have trailing truck wheels also. And everything I bought from them is nice also.

If you're interested in anything I've made or anything else, send me a pm.

Our frames were 7/8", then ground to.813.

Had I to do over again, I might've tried 3/4.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I have finished the frame jig and one frame rail. I built the frame jig for Mike at RRSC because the original design called for a built up frame by welding.
He also thought that it would be less money. After welding up one frame rail, a flame cut frame will be about the same price. Both methods require
Blanchard grinding from 7/8 to .813". The only advantage that I see with the built up frame, is that the journal box openings are to dimension and the
recess for the rear cradle is in there. So there would be less mill work.

I will bring the frame rail with me to Cabin Fever for the obligatory criticisms. :D

I will include pictures later.

Jim B
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Jim,

Just curious......what alloy steel did you use. 1018?
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

A36 Hot Rolled. 7/8" square stock which by the way, is not being stocked any more by my suppliers. It seems that it is not a big seller, so
the mills are discontinuing it. Sure, and after I got the jig built!

Jim B
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

marshall5 wrote:0.813 is almost exactly 20mm - if that's not available in the U.S. can you get it from Canada?
Ray.
Most of our materials are Imperial. Can't say I've come accross metric plate.
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Ok, so a while ago I decided that I'm going to machine a set of drivers. It's always been something that I wanted to do. I enjoy drawing them up and I really get a satisfying feeling after I machine one......then the rest are fun....but not as fun as the first.

Anyway, I then stumbled across these drivers. With a little help, I had the models drawn up in a couple nights. Then I was sick the last 3 days, so it was a great opportunity to play with programming them.....and setting up a long cycle while I was recuperating / watching X-Files to get me in the mood for the new season!

I had a blank laying around that was slightly undersize and figured I'd run a test piece.

Five hours to rough. 2 hrs to semi finish and 10 hours to finish. The finish program was long because of having to profile the dished surface...... .005 steps.

But, everything ran extremely well. I learned a couple tricks with bobcad and it was the first time I ever used a radial toolpath strategy.

On the list for my next purchase is eight 9" diameter blanks.

One thing I noticed when looking at pictures of various locomotives is that every one that I found with these drivers only had light weighted and heavy weighted drivers. No medium drivers that I could find.

I thought it was odd. But I don't know much about these. Nothing at all really.
Attachments
WP_20160123_007.jpg
WP_20160123_006.jpg
WP_20160123_001.jpg
WP_20160123_003.jpg
WP_20160124_001.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Hmmm.
Imagine making them manually!

Nice job, Harry.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

hwboivin3 wrote:

One thing I noticed when looking at pictures of various locomotives is that every one that I found with these drivers only had light weighted and heavy weighted drivers. No medium drivers that I could find.

The drivers on my GS-1 are the same way. The difference between the medium and light drivers was the thickness of the counterweight where the medium driver's counterweight was thicker. The face profile between the two was identical. Only needed two patterns for the 8 drivers.

Have fun profiling.

Donald
little giant

Post by little giant »

I made 6 Scullin disc drivers for the streamlined NYC Hudson for a friend on a mill drill with a rotary table. Took about 6 months doing it .005 cut at 1 degree at time with the rotary table and ball endmill.
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

GS14403 wrote:
hwboivin3 wrote:

The drivers on my GS-1 are the same way. The difference between the medium and light drivers was the thickness of the counterweight where the medium driver's counterweight was thicker. The face profile between the two was identical. Only needed two patterns for the 8 drivers.

Have fun profiling.

Donald

Thanks Donald! I never even considered that. That's what I'll do.

Thanks Harold! Long before cnc, I used to pcs using rotary tables, sine plates etc.

Cnc definitely makes life easier.

6 months to manually machine them is an astounding test of determination! Kudos! I wouldn't have the patience to even think of doing that.

Before we had cam software, I machined a pacific driver. Drew it on AutoCAD and typed in the programs. Calculated tangent points all of the place. It took about 40 hrs just to type the programs in the control.
little giant

Post by little giant »

Them seemed to be one of the easier drivers to machine manually. Here is a picture of them when he sold them on Discover Live Steam. You can see more of them on the sold page for 7 1/4- 7 1/2 gauge stuff.
http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/discov ... _small.JPG
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

I contemplated buying those drivers, but figured I had enough stuff and didn't need another project.
I would've never guessed that they were done manually. They look very nice.

I did however buy the baker frame castings.....which might go to Brian if they'll work for his Mikado.