10 USRA Mikados

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

hwboivin3

Re: 10 USRA Mikados

Post by hwboivin3 »

steamin10 wrote: . Same as a CNC Operator, is generally a loader, and does not have a clue on programming, as that comes from some office.

Uh......I'll have to disagree on this. Unless they don't care about their job or they're switch parts and doing dumb production jobs, most operators can program to a certain point.

Not sure if this was supposed to be here, but figured I'd chime in.

Call me defensive.

:shock:
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

hwboivin3 wrote:
steamin10 wrote: . Same as a CNC Operator, is generally a loader, and does not have a clue on programming, as that comes from some office.

Uh......I'll have to disagree on this. Unless they don't care about their job or they're switch parts and doing dumb production jobs, most operators can program to a certain point.

Not sure if this was supposed to be here, but figured I'd chime in.

Call me defensive.

:shock:
Depends on the position and the role that the company wants them to fill.

When I worked at Rock Island Arsenal on a co-op, we did some programming... mainly because the network was down so we'd manually input our programs. Faster than waiting for the network to come back up on the simpler parts.

At my company, operators simply load parts. It's not their job to mess with the program, save for certain operations such as basic manual operations pertaining to the job. Clamp, unclamp, check to make sure the proper program is loaded etc... But even then, all they should be doing is loading parts and hitting the start button. Thanks to my machining background, I was asked to step in and help understand why we kept breaking tools. Engineers (that have a background like mine) and maintenance are the only ones that make program changes.

-Mike
kvom

Post by kvom »

In a lot of places the operator is responsible for setting tool heights and monitoring tool wear, changing tools when necessary, etc.

A lot may depend on how much the programmer/engineer is familiar with the machine controls.
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

kvom wrote:In a lot of places the operator is responsible for setting tool heights and monitoring tool wear, changing tools when necessary, etc.

A lot may depend on how much the programmer/engineer is familiar with the machine controls.

And they probably could write a basic program if needed. In my 20 yrs, I've never seen a "button pusher". They might not be "programmers", but they could do basic programming. Aside from mindless production work, generally the operators have a basic fundamental understanding of what they're doing. Unless you milling 3d complex contours, it's basic entry level stuff. Even with programs coming from an office, most employers generally do not hire anyone and put them on a machine if they don't know the basics.
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

A friend gave me about 40 feet of 2" sq steel. So I figured I'd cut up a whole bunch and make the spring saddles. I cut them into 5" long pieces. Cut one from one end, then I'll cut another on the other end. Saw them off, finish the height and mill the taper.

Usually I like to rough and finish, but I went right to finish on these. The finish isn't as nice by doing this, but once sand blasted and painted, it'll look more like a casting. It took an hour to mill each one......i didn't want it to be 2 hrs.

24 pcs are done to this point so far.
Attachments
WP_20160103_005.jpg
WP_20160103_002.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

The first pilot truck eq bar roughing out.
Attachments
WP_20160110_003.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

First one done.
Attachments
WP_20160110_006.jpg
little giant

Post by little giant »

How long did it take to make one? Also why did you mill more stock off the plate when you could of milled the outside contour only? I am enjoying this post with great interest, because I am building a NYC H10 Mikado so keep up the great work.
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

The reason why I milled the thickness is because it's 7/16 thick everywhere except for the pads that have 3 holes. The thickness there is 9/16". The stock was 5/8" thick. If I weren't sticking with the original RR supply drawings, I would've made it from 3/8" plate and would've altered the parts that go with it to suit the 3/8" thickness.

Time wise it took about an hour including setups to mill both sides to thickness and about 2hrs to mill the perimeter......but I'm usually very careful on the first part. I should be able to knock it down to an hour by changing parts of the program, depth of cut and feedrate.

I'm on the fence about ordering the H10 drawings from NYC.

How far along are you?
little giant

Post by little giant »

I started the project in order by using the drawings for Railroad Warehouse. I have sections 1, 2, 3 completed most of 4 done. If you are doing a NYC H10 I would recommend the drawings from New York Historical Society they are great for the fine details. They are really close to the USRA designed drawings from Railroad Warehouse. I followed the method you did on the pilot frame except I did it manually on a Bridgeport. I started to collect the castings from Robert, then he started to have some trouble and some of the castings were not available, so I decided to make everything from solid. I still need to get the trailing truck casting or learn how to tig weld. I have not worked on the H10 in about a year due to work and finishing the Keith Jackman caboose. I have completed an Allen consolidation as my starter engine in 2010 and I always wanted to build a big engine.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I am building a USRA Mike as well.

Some of the parts I am making and some I have received from Harry. I have some castings as well like the pilot and smoke box front. I also have castings for some spring rigging and brake cylinders.

You can get the trailing truck frame from Railroad Supply. He also has cylinders and the cradle tail piece, drivers and I'm not sure what else. check with him.

BTW I will see him at Cabin Fever at the end of the week. I will find out what new parts he has for sale.

I am making laser cut frames but the RR supply design calls for .813 thickness. You have to start with a 7/8 think part so I optioned to use 3/4 thick frames and modify the frame spreaders to accommodate the difference.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
marshall5

Post by marshall5 »

0.813 is almost exactly 20mm - if that's not available in the U.S. can you get it from Canada?
Ray.