Railroad Warehouse 2.8.2 Mikado Logger Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Odyknuck

Re: Railroad Warehouse 2.8.2 Mikado Logger Build

Post by Odyknuck »

Got the sand domes completed today. I opted for a .005" press fit that required me to freeze the OD parts and heat up the ID parts. They dropped together and I just used the press to hold them in place while they cooled.
Attachments
sanddomepressfit1.jpg
sanddomes1.jpg
sanddomes2.jpg
sanddome.jpg
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Also started on the Steam dome today. All of the castings were pitted pretty bad however the Steam dome was the worse. I started off roughing the pits out manually on the lathe with a HSS cutter I ground with a large radius, followed up with a half round file, flat file 3 different grades of emery cloth with the Cratex stick for polishing. Took awhile!
Attachments
steamdomepits2.jpg
steam dome pits1.jpg
steamdomefinish.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Lookin' good!
Nice dome assemblies really add to the appearance of our locomotives.
RussN
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Thanks Russ. Yes they do, hence the reason I spent so much time on them.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Worked some more on the steam dome today. Got the center section done and started cleaning up the pits in the top section. I also machined it to be .010" press fit into the center section as I need to chuck it up in the lathe to complete it. Machining the top dome was a PITA as it need to be clamped in the chuck on the OD radius to face it off and cut the step for the center section. Of course, it moved on me. Still need to clean up the dome and cut a 3" hole to clear for the PRVs , cut a 3.25" hole in the lower section to clear actual steam dome. Going to use 2 small set screws to hold the top assembly to the lower for easy access to steam dome and PRVs. Test fit the dome assemblies with 1/4" rods to make sure the radiuses were going to work with the insulation and sheet metal jacket.
Attachments
steam dome.jpg
dome testfit1.jpg
dome testfit2.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Odyknuck wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:54 pm Machining the top dome was a PITA as it need to be clamped in the chuck on the OD radius to face it off and cut the step for the center section.
Actually, that isn't true.
Of course, it moved on me.
You could have avoided that by turning a thick "washer", for lack of better description, in which the dome rested. By providing a plate with a center, so a live center could be employed, the dome would be centered in the washer, then tailstock pressure applied lightly. A final adjustment by tapping with a small hammer until it ran as desired, then a final tightening of the tailstock quill, which would then be locked, and you're ready to take the necessary cuts.

The washer inside diameter and surface should be selected so that the pressure applied by the tailstock doesn't attempt to distort the dome. The pressure plate is best a diameter that falls within the area of contact of the dome with the washer. Much easier to do than it sounds, and it's a great way to machine a part that's difficult to hold. Light cuts prevent the part from spinning in the washer.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Ah OK, good to know for the next time. Thanks Much. I did not have an issue with turning the face. The issue came about when I used a boring bar to cut the step on the ID. As I expected, it pushed the dome towards the chuck. My solution was to reposition the piece up against the chuck face so the inward pressure could not move it. Then used a brass hammer and an Indicator on the face to get it straight again. Worked fine after that however It did take a bit to get the step concentric again. Good thing it happened early in the process as I still had plenty of stock to work with.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Worked on the Steam Dome some more on Friday. Cut and finished the hole in the lower section to fit over the Boiler Steam Dome. Used a 3" hole saw in a 3/4" arbor I made up years ago. Finished off with a boring bar. Worked on cleaning up the top and middle section. Still need to finish cleanup.
Attachments
steamdome holecut1.jpg
steamdome cleanup.jpg
steamdomecutfinish.jpg
steamdome cleanup1.jpg
steamdomelowerfit.jpg
SteamDomeonBoiler.jpg
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Today was spent at my Buddies CNC shop working on Main Rods. We completed the 2 rear sections minus mounting and grease fitting holes. Was able to get both parts out of the piece of 303 true bar stock I had bought. So to not have movement when cut the part in half, a recess was machined into the fixture plate. We deviated a little on the prints by adding radius to the parts to clean them up simply because we could. The prints also called for the front section rod to mate in a rectangle hole however to delete another setup requirement I decided to just leave corner radius so it could all be done in two setup positions. The main rod front section will be machined to accommodate the radius. A plus is a much stronger part.
Attachments
drrMetalPrep.jpg
DRRTop.jpg
DRRHolde Bore.jpg
DrrSideFinish.jpg
DRRtopFinish.jpg
DRRrecess.jpg
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

This step was right before we did the bushing holes and cut the piece in half. Second pic of clamp to hold down while boring the bushing holes and final crosscut to make the 2 parts.
Attachments
DRRSlot.jpg
DRRclamp.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Nice work on the steam dome. Next you can chuck up the dome top in the lathe (4-jaw) and cut/bore out the top opening.

And nice to see the CNC machining of the rods. CNC makes them SO much easier to replicate.
I did not have CNC available and did them the "old-fashioned way" on the mill.
'Worked. See pics below for my results.
RussN
MillRods3 sml.jpg
Rods1small.jpg
Last edited by NP317 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Thanks Russ, unfortunately I do not have a 4-jaw chuck, so the 3-jaw will have to do. BTW what size is your vent valve? IMHO CNC is the best and most accurate way of machining. I am glad I have access to it and the programming expertise of my friend. He used my hardcopy drawings to make the parts up in Solid works and then converted them to Mastercam files for the mill. I am really grateful I do not have to make my critical parts manually.
It allows me to focus elsewhere on the build. Next Saturday we will knock out the front sections.