Economy Box 'n Reef

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Economy Box 'n Reef

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Brian. I've never experienced stencil use, and had a totally wrong impression of how to do it. What you provided sure makes sense. Don't know that I'll ever need the much appreciated information, but I like to know things like this for the day I may.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Hi Carl,
Here’s a bit about a reefer I painted a few years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=90539&hilit=Santa+ ... r&start=12
amadlinger

Post by amadlinger »

Hi Carl,

As always, a fascinating thread packed with great ideas and learnings!

Regarding some of the commentary from early on in the thread about the 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/32" brass angle, I found myself in a similar situation this past week. I had purchased a bunch of the 3 ft lengths from Special Shapes a few years ago, but I was horrified to find myself coming up short on a project I am presently working on. I gave it a thorough Google search to try to find another supplier, but as luck would have it the closest search result they provided was a link to this very thread! :-)

So, yesterday, I embarked on turning some 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/16" brass angle from OnlineMetals into the 1/32" variety and had great success after a bit of fiddling around with the fixture. Here are some photos and a video of the process.

https://youtu.be/J24243JJO1E

Angle0.JPG
Angle1.JPG
Angle2.JPG

Sincerely,
Adam
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Nice work Adam!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

amadlinger wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:51 amRegarding some of the commentary from early on in the thread about the 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/32" brass angle, I found myself in a similar situation this past week...So, yesterday, I embarked on turning some 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/16" brass angle...into the 1/32" variety and had great success after a bit of fiddling around with the fixture.
As the old wheeze goes, necessity is the mother of invention. Nice fixture!
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

makinsmoke wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:21 pm Hi Carl,
Here’s a bit about a reefer I painted a few years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=90539&hilit=Santa+ ... r&start=12
Hi Brian...yep, that's the post I was thinking about. I thought you did a write up on mask/stenciling some time ago.

Guess it comes down to a matter of preference. If you want a one-step process...you go with adhesive backed vinyl. If you want something that involves a couple of steps...you go with a mask/stencil. Thanx for the link. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

amadlinger wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:51 am Hi Carl,

As always, a fascinating thread packed with great ideas and learnings!

So, yesterday, I embarked on turning some 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/16" brass angle from OnlineMetals into the 1/32" variety and had great success after a bit of fiddling around with the fixture. Here are some photos and a video of the process.

https://youtu.be/J24243JJO1E

Sincerely,
Adam
Hello Adam...interesting process. Yours parallels those where modelers are turning round stock into half-round or three quarter round.

To me, should I need more brass angle stock, with the loss of Special Shapes (think that was there name), will probably be limited to 12" long brass angle pieces. Yes, these can be spliced, but having one continuous piece to start with for car ladders would be SO much easier. Don't think it's feasible to take 1/4 x 1/4 brass square...and cut away everything that doesn't resemble an angle. Will worry about this the next time. Thanx for sharing. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!