2 1/2" Ulin Shay - WSLC #15

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

mikeminton

Re: 2 1/2" Ulin Shay - WSLC #15

Post by mikeminton »

It was a bit colder and rainy out here in Seattle on Saturday which made for a perfect day to make some progress on the tender frame. I decided to work on the tender bumper which would involve my least favorite activity, welding. At the end of the day I was happy with how it came out though.

I started with Fusion designing the pieces or at least translating them from the old school drawings. I have made some adjustments to the Ulin drawings as I have worked through some of the ambiguity or decided to go about things differently like screwing the frame together instead of welding like Nelson Riedel.
frame_cad.png
I decided to use CNC to get the tops of the ends dimensioned correctly and as a starting point for cutting vertically.
end_cam.png
cnc.png
Next up was laying out the pieces and tacking. The ends are screwed into the frame and the angled front part rests against the frame which made it straightforward to locate the ends. I tacked everything up.
tack_m.png
Welding followed by lots of grinding and sanding resulted in a bumper.
bumper.png
Here it is loosely attached to the frame.
frame_m.png
mikeminton

Post by mikeminton »

thej611 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:27 am Do you still have all your other shays ?
Yes, I do plan to finish them all eventually. Here is a picture of unfinished engines to give everyone a sense of scale moving from Schroeder -> Buckwalter -> Ulin
engines.png
thej611

Post by thej611 »

Well you will have a stable of them . Make sure and feed them well . Looking great by the way
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Enjoying your thread!

Mountaineer
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Enjoying watching your thread Mike, can’t wait to see the shays finished! Though seeing how powerful my Buckwalter shay is I can’t imagine you’ll be able to put enough load behind the Ulin shay to really make her work.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
mikeminton

Post by mikeminton »

I have been mostly on hiatus enjoying summer out here in Washington. I was able to find a few hours this weekend in the shop to start moving things forward again.

I am working on the main frame and have made some progress on machining and assembling the bolster sections. My current priority is getting the CAD drawings far enough along that I can start machining the I frames. Lots and lots of bolt holes!
ulin_frame_sept21.png
2021-09-06_16-01-35_838.png
2021-09-06_16-05-11_647.png
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Mike, nice work thus far. Great to see a Ulin Shay in the works. I missed what gauge you are building in? Iam our in the Woodinville era, and work mostly in 12” gauge.

Also you might wish to take a look Seattle Metalheads. (Seattlemetalheads@groups.io). Very active local group of metal workers - metal hobbyists, small shop owners, artisans, blacksmith, and welders here in the Seattle area. Also, lots of CAD, CNC, and 3D printing expertise in the group, as well as traditional manual machinists. There’s always someone to answer a technical question...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
mikeminton

Post by mikeminton »

Howdy Neighbor! I am just south of you in Redmond. The Ulin Shay is 7.5" gauge and 2 1/2" scale. Thanks for the connection to Seattle Metalheads.