1” USRA Light Mikado

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Re: 1” USRA Light Mikado

Post by Dick_Morris »

Would something the size of these cylinders be vacuum cast, or just gravity?

That's an interesting process. if it was wax or castable resin there would be quite a large volume to be burned out, not with this system.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Very cool locomotive. That chassis is gorgeous. I'm glad to see you are making progress on the one incher. No shortage of things to do!
Jack
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

AnthonyDuarte wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:13 am If I remember correctly I had my 1.6” SP 0-6-0 drivers quoted at $12,000 when I sent in just the driver files. When I sent them the completed mold files it was $900.
I also investigated having drivers cast, but I was going to supply printed cores ( 3 different ones). Granted they are 16" diameter, and I wanted cast steel, not iron, but I was quoted $800 ea, with a minimum of 8 each....ugh. They will be done on the CNC instead.

Nyle
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

8) Hello Anthony,
like your precision work 8)
Maybe you know there is one of the batch of post WW II class 1-4-1 Rs, delivered to France, still alive at Brugg / Switzerland?
Last summer I enjoyed a special round trip at Lake Zuerich. In excellent condition she`s still working as intended by their builders. That was great fun!
Please carry on both constructing and posting your model, thanks :)

Best regards
Asteamhead
Attachments
Mikado 1-4-1 R 1244, cab
Mikado 1-4-1 R 1244, cab
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Beautiful work Anthony, gotta love CNC! The real skills are in the programmer, and it shows.