0-8-0 switcher

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

skyloop440

0-8-0 switcher

Post by skyloop440 »

Hello all you loco builders:
I have started building a 0-8-0 based loosely on Martin Evans Caribou. Not sure how often all post updates but all do my best.
It will be 7 1/2" gauge 8" boiler 2" bore and 3 1/4" stroke, 6 3/8" drivers i'm going to use a pair of old Allen models cylinder blocks but put a half round steam chest and walschaert valve gear on them. This is very much a work in progress and my need a few redesigns before done.
Matt
Attachments
SWITCHER FRAME.PDF
frame drawing for water jet cutting
(19.9 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
vlnmkr

Re: 0-8-0 switcher

Post by vlnmkr »

pm me, I am building an 0-8-0 based on a C&NW prototype in 1.6. It is a project I started in the early 80's. I made all my own patterns and had the foundry work done in iron and bronze. Originally there were 8 of us working together. I am the lone survivor, the others either lost interest, were forced to relocate for their jobs or in the case of my dad, dropped out due to failing health. So I have parts and castings and at least one extra set of frames. The loco was featured in an article in Mainline Modeler many years ago. It is a larger locomotive than the Caribou. I am working from original C&NW drawings I bought from Carl Ulrich back in the day. I can send a photo of my progress to date if you are interested. I am downsizing so am motivated to find a good home for many items. Please let me know if I can be a resource.

M. Becker
violinmaker
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

haven't done much to these lately but the frame is togethe, need to take new picture but here are the frame sides when i got them back from water jet cutter.
Attachments
Frames.jpg
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Forgot about these pictures
Attachments
Drag beam fitting.jpg
Draw bar mounting.jpg
Drilling mounting holes in pilot beam.jpg
Bottom frame spreaders.jpg
pedestal binders.jpg