Turning an Allen Ten wheeler into a Southern Pacific T1 class locomotive 2252

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

gcarsen

Re: Turning an Allen Ten wheeler into a Southern Pacific T1 class locomotive 2252

Post by gcarsen »

here are the driver axle boxes, ready to install the bearings, the little holes are for removing the pressed in bearings when they need to be removed. and the spring sadle that goes on the front axle box, contains the springs when installed
Attachments
IMG_7631.JPG
IMG_7632.JPG
IMG_7633.JPG
IMG_7634.JPG
IMG_7635.JPG
IMG_7636.JPG
Steamin

Re: Turning an Allen Ten wheeler into a Southern Pacific T1 class locomotive 2252

Post by Steamin »

Your provision for removing the bearings sometime in the future will be greatly appreciated by a future mechanic! (The LE Pacific I am working on did not have this forethought; I had a wrestle of a time getting those bearings out.)

Nice detail!
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

I was able to get a little time on my Allen tenwheeler over the weekend, i got probably the most critically altered parts cut out and a few holes drilled, the front frame extensions. the cylinders where moved back 1.25 inches , and the front sections where bobed back like anothe 7/8 of an inch! the smoke box will be extended out to the back of the pilot beam! going through my stash of goodies i pulled out a saddle i had machined for another project years ago!! got the pilot beam i will be using, its pretty scale to what the SP used on there engines , but huge compared to the stock allen!! need to figure out the height i want to mount it as the top is higher than the frames nose pieces but i also need to figure in 2 new front frame mounts to hold it on too!
also did a little creative design work to come up with an older style of cab support as used on these older engines, this engine originally being from about 1890 ! uses basically stock dimensions but changed the lower corners a bit. some of these had steps hung from the outer edges back in the day.
one of the other things is trying to figure out what coupler pocket i want to use on the pilot beam, i want a larger one more prototypical of the late 30's,40's .
Grant
Attachments
IMG_7755.JPG
IMG_7756.JPG
IMG_7757.JPG
IMG_7758.JPG
IMG_7759.JPG
IMG_7760.JPG
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

The coupler pocket i am showing is a Supper Power Detail one for another engine i have on the shelf, does any one happen to have an extra one on hand?
also done a little detail work sketching , way more to go!
Grant
Attachments
IMG_7761.JPG
IMG_7762.JPG
IMG_7763.JPG
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Grant:
Contact Dave Bortz (?) on this Chaski board. I got a similar stainless steel casting (+ coupler) from him for my Mikado.
RussN
Pilot-Side.jpg
Pilot-Top.jpg
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Long ago I used a Superscale stainless steel coupler pocket designed for the parts Barry was offering for the heavy USRA Mikado project. It was a bit on the modern side for my 1923 Mogul design, so I removed the more modern top and side support webs. A bit of milling and grinding soon had the pocket back dated to my needs. Shaved it down on the top and bottom to look smaller and then gave it a bead blast job. Even Barry was surprised at how nice it turned out. He had never seen anyone back date the casting before that time.

I had wanted to get a second coupler pocket from the Camelback project of David Scalvi, but they were no longer to be found. The stainless steel coupler pocket was more expensive but worked well for my needs at the time.
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

Got a little more time into the project! got the front cylinder covers made, fit fine! grabbed the steam chest and covers and located them with 2 bolts just see how the power egg is building up!! also working on making a run of stock snifer valves for allen models.
Attachments
IMG_7773.JPG
IMG_7774.JPG
IMG_7775.JPG
IMG_7776.JPG
IMG_7777.JPG
IMG_7778.JPG
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

That’s a great idea on the snifter valves!

There are so many little details that are needed, and sometimes the setup and accumulation of basic stock takes more time than machining.

More folks might think about making several bits when doing so. The ones for your use and more for trade or sale?

Take care,
Brian
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

while i had the wire machine burning on a customers parts , i got the rear cylinder heads pretty well done, another critical change, going over to the single overhead bar style of guide. so far all dimensions are stock allen , but we milled the bottom ear off! once i decide the hole pattern for the guide i'll blend in the chamfer from the missing lower ear!
Attachments
IMG_7788.JPG
IMG_7789.JPG
IMG_7790.JPG
IMG_7792.JPG
IMG_7793.JPG
IMG_7791.JPG
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

I would be interested in a similar modification if you can share! I have a project that might need this modification dearly. Alligator style may be an issue.
my2cents

Post by my2cents »

I agree with Mike, You willing to share? I have a project also that is more suited to overhead style guide. Thank You
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

I bet Allen models could easily sell the single bar style crosshead drawings as an option on many of their locos. The single bar cross head was very popular on all the prototypes they offer.