Turning an Allen Ten wheeler into a Southern Pacific T1 class locomotive 2252

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

gcarsen

Re: Turning an Allen Ten wheeler into a Southern Pacific T1 class locomotive 2252

Post by gcarsen »

here are the other pictures.
Attachments
IMG_7556.JPG
IMG_7557.JPG
IMG_7558.JPG
gcarsen

Re: Turning an Allen Ten wheeler into a Southern Pacific T1 class locomotive 2252

Post by gcarsen »

one pet peave doing drivers, i hate seeing a driver that has been poorly indexed and the crankpins are not centered in the boss or the counterweights are way off one direction or the other!! doesnt affect the running, but it messes up the cosmetics!. so after the drivers are turned, and the bore is finish turned just a hair under. i take the sharpy and cover the area the pin goes as well as a stripe up and down from there, take the calipers and scribe a line thats the radius of the throw minus half the axle bore,scribe that from the edge of the bore, that gives the throw dimension. then i measure the width of the boss around the pin area , and set my calipers to half that value and scribe from both sides, that now gives you the pin location. go down to the counterweight , measure that width , half that and scribe another arc from each side of the counter weight. now take a straight edge and line it up with the pin location we scribed and the intersection of the 2 arcs from the counterweight, scribe that line! now when you set up in what ever machine you will use to finish your bores and keyways in you have a reference to corectly orient your driver, drop a scribe into the mill spindle or indicator holder, line up with one end of the line , travel to the other end and make sure they follow suit, or one could use a square to line it up. but this helps attain nice cosmetic centered pins and counterweights.
Attachments
IMG_7541.JPG
IMG_7542.JPG
IMG_7543.JPG
IMG_7544.JPG
IMG_7545.JPG
IMG_7547.JPG
Last edited by gcarsen on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

the other pics of series,
Attachments
IMG_7548.JPG
IMG_7549.JPG
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

the Cylinders are finished, ready to bolt up. only thing that needs done is when ready to assemble, lap the valve surface, and clean completly .
had these pretty well finished, just needed to give them the hone job!
Grant
Attachments
IMG_7616.JPG
IMG_7617.JPG
IMG_7618.JPG
Kay_B

Post by Kay_B »

The work was done really well. At first glance, everything looks perfectly flat. This is not your first job of this type? I don't think a person preparing cylinders for the first time will be able to do it so perfectly the first time.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Kay_B:
Having visited Grant's commercial machine shop, I suspect he used his CNC machines and existing programming and fixtures to machine those cylinders.
They are not his first set of Allen cylinders.
I remain envious of Grant's capabilities.
RussN
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

If you are wanting to emulate the SP fire trains, you really should get with Cbrew here.

Also, Mainline Modeler in the 80’s had a couple of articles on building the water cars.

A setup like that would be very handy in those fire prone areas of the West were we run.

Take care,
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

Kay_b, thank you for the compliments! been running alot of parts for Allen models. i developed a very slick fixture for holding and indexing the cylinders for machining the various surfaces. a little preload up front on gages, and fixtures usually go along way for making better parts.

Russ, and yes thank you for the compliments too!! i want this engine and cars done for train mountain so my boy and i can have some fun!! he is excited about it! showed him some pictures and videos of these firetrains in service and he loves it!

Makinsmoke , i know Chris! his very nice tank car is patterned of a Jones and Lameson logging tank car , some roads used them for the same use too.
the tank cars i am modeling are pretty odd ones with a pretty long life. they where first aquired by the SP around 1900 and where used as oil tankers. they where basically a converted wood flat car with a tank resting on it with a lot of wood cribbing. also used for water service along the line to. later they where upgraded to steel frame but kepth that stripped flat car and a tank look with raised platforms. with time they had a side sill plate added . at that point of time they where also set up and used as auxilary water tenders for some locomotives with the raised platforms and all, all plumbed into the loco and tender for additional water supply. have seen a few pictures but very few. then as these cars where finally entering there last years they where converted into full on firetank cars, one with pilot and headlight for running in reverse. they had pumps, hoses, monitors and other fire fighting equipment on them.
i have seen some of the articles in the mainline modelor that you recomended. they are later style standard tank cars that have been converted, they came into use for the fire service after the ones im modelling where obsolete. they are more diesel era, but there is some of the equipment and gear details that should still work for details on my cars.
but again thank you for the comments and advice!
Attachments
TRAIN 018.PDF
(442.7 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

okay, for the frames for this locomotive there is going to be some changing of things. Steve Currently offers a fantastic set of precut frames. but in this case they would not really fit my build. as i am scrunching the nose up a bit, the old school style of frame as originally drawn on the drawings fit my use better. have had this set on the shelf for a while, need to set up, mount the pedastal binders, cut the axlebox openingsand trim the front main frame ends to finish. all the other holes are already basically in i believe, will be some changes but that will be dealt with as time comes. we have the old style front frame extension that i will modify heavily to get where we needed! this is an easy way to start our modifications and if i mis figure only a fairly small piece will need replacing!
Grant
Attachments
IMG_7620.JPG
IMG_7621.JPG
IMG_7622.JPG
IMG_7623.JPG
IMG_7624.JPG
IMG_7625.JPG
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

Front frame extensions
Attachments
IMG_7626.JPG
IMG_7627.JPG
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

Here are the pedastal binders i will be using, will fit them to use the outer toes to lock the frame tight, this way you can drop an axle set with out having to remove the bottom bar on the original design, Steve uses Binders on the new precut frames
Attachments
IMG_7628.JPG
IMG_7629.JPG
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

we will be using stock Steam chest and covers, these are ready for use!
Attachments
IMG_7630.JPG