1.6" Kerosene Headlight Build"

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

daves1459

Re: 1.6" Kerosene Headlight Build"

Post by daves1459 »

One of the more fun pieces of the headlight to make was the valance located at the top. The first picture shows it dropped into position right after forming.

The second picture shows the simple tooling needed to form the valance flanges. The valance was first drawn out on .015" 360 brass then cut and filed to shape. Two blocks of steel were machined to the final inside length and width of the valance. The edges against which the brass is formed were radiused with a .030" corner rounding end mill. The two pieces of steel with the brass sandwiched between them to form the punch. The vise will be the die.

The third picture shows the punch set up in the die ready to form the valance flanges. The feeler gauges are .002"-.004" thicker than the brass. The punch was rested on the brass on top of the die jaws and with the feeler gauges are lightly pinched by the jaws. The punch was simply pushed down into the die/vise to form the valance flanges. The punch assembly was rotated 90 degrees and set up the same way with the feeler gauges to form the other flanges. After forming the punch assembly pinched in the vise jaws to make nice sharp 90 degree bends.

The fourth picture shows the finished valance with the flanges formed. The die scratches were sanded out with 240 then 320 grit emery cloth.

I've used the process just described to make many parts of sheet and rod stock making the little tool makers vice one of my most useful tools.

Are there any questions I can answer about the 999 headlight? Otherwise I'll open a build log on the 999 loco and we'll see how that goes.

Dave
Attachments
DSC00628.JPG
DSC00621.JPG
DSC00622.JPG
DSC00627.JPG
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Love the lamp!
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Beautiful lamps, you've set the bar very high. Thanks for posting the pictures and information.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Your vent has a lot more going on than my example. Here, they just bent a sheet over the vent, the sheet being very similar to the outer one but at a 90 degree angle. My example was probably later, and this was a cost-cutting approach deemed 'good enough'.
ventsideview.jpg
ventsideview.jpg (25.79 KiB) Viewed 6861 times
John Brock