1.6" Kerosene Headlight Build"

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

daves1459

1.6" Kerosene Headlight Build"

Post by daves1459 »

I recently had some 1 1/2" scale kerosene headlight chimneys custom glass blown for my current project. If anyone has an interest in purchasing this item, please follow this link: https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vi ... 67#p435267

A drawing is below. I had them made for a kerosene headlight. But I also used them for the electric headlight on my Disney 4-4-0. The chimney will accept a G4 12volt LED bulb as shown. The G4 is very bright as can be seen in the photo. The bulb socket is round plastic so can be pushed into the same base that holds the chimney. A small piece of heat shrink tubing can be used to cover up the micro-electronics in the bulb base.

The glass used was laboratory grade tubing so should take any heat from electric bulb or flame..

I think the chimneys could be used for a 2 1/2" scale kerosene lamp for cab lighting or other.

Anyway if anyone has an interest please PM me.

Dave
Attachments
scan.pdf
(445.48 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
DSC02420.JPG
DSC02419.JPG
DSC02418.JPG
daves1459

Re: 1.6" Kerosene Headlight Build"

Post by daves1459 »

As I mention previously I made the chimneys for use with a kerosene headlight. The following photos show that installation.

Dave
Attachments
DSC02436.JPG
DSC02432.JPG
Berkman

Re: Kerosene Headlight Chimney

Post by Berkman »

that is awesome!
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

That second headlight is beautifully done, even down to the manufacturer's plate. Here's a full-size one for comparison:
headlight3.jpg
John Brock
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

jcbrock wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 pm That second headlight is beautifully done, even down to the manufacturer's plate. Here's a full-size one for comparison:

headlight3.jpg
The second headlight is for my 1.6" scale NYC & HR 999 project and was a project in itself. Before construction I researched it using specifications from the original 1892 NYC West Albany shops build documents. I then searched for a survivor and quite luckily stumbled upon one in a small museum in San Louis Obispo, CA. My son lives a couple hours north. He visited the museum and gave the museum a donation for the opportunity to photograph and measure the original. With that info I created my model. Attached are a couple additional pictures. One is a side view before painting showing side window frame with the patent date as on the original. Robert Dustin made both the builders plate and window frame.
Attachments
2019-05-21-D3X_0046.JPG
DSC00748.JPG
DSC00610.JPG
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Outstanding job! Working scale kero headlight!
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Okay. I've had to sign back on to also write: Very Impressive!

Functioning artwork at its very best.

This is the essence of what I remember this hobby as being.

My goodness. Very Impressive.

John
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Can you post a photo of the locomotive itself?
Those Buchanan NYC & HR RR 4-4-0’s are beautiful.

Keith
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

LVRR2095 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:46 am Can you post a photo of the locomotive itself?
Those Buchanan NYC & HR RR 4-4-0’s are beautiful.

Keith
Thank you all for your kind words. I really appreciate your compliments.

My 999 is not yet finished. Although when everything made is assembled the loco itself is about 85% complete. Luckily about 90% of the original 1892 ink on linen drawings still exist and I was able to get a CD with them from the NYC Historical Society. What you see in the pictures, other than alterations for a viable live steamer, is close to exact scale.

Getting the kerosene headlight flame to burn properly took some experimentation. Those familiar with table top kerosene lamps know that the flame is regulated by turning a knob to raise and lower the wick. That wasn't practical for my model. I had to "invent" an alternative. For those who may want to model their own kerosene lamp for a headlight or other the photo shows my solution. The Nickle plated piece on the left is the base which holds the chimney, the wick holder, and provides a path for combustion air. The piece in the center is the wick holder. The larger thread screws into the base that in turn screws into the kerosene reservoir. The wick is simple a piece of cotton sash cord that in position one end is just slightly proud of the holder top and the other end extends down into the reservoir. The piece on the right is the key to regulating the flame. it screws onto the smaller thread on the top of wick holder where the wick is held in a fixed position. The piece on the right is screwed up and down over the exposed wick to regulate the flame height via a wire in the small holes that passes through the large hole in the base. Once warmed up I am able to get an almost incandescent bright flame.

Dave
Attachments
DSC02276.JPG
DSC01765.JPG
DSC00906.JPG
Steven E. Kuhn

Post by Steven E. Kuhn »

Very nice!!!

Steve
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

don't forget we need a build log of that 999!!

Didn't someone in the southeast build a 999?

In general, there is a lack of 1890-1915 era motive power in both live steam and operational full size steam of that era at museums. Most full size power from that time period had been heavily modernized by the time they would end up at museums.

Something like a 1910 era 4-6-2 with slide valves, Stephenson, inside bearing trailing truck and extended piston rods would be a really neat model or full size locomotive to see.
Last edited by Berkman on Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

That is one of the coolest things I've seen.

Steve